Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Strava community
Made this thread for all the Strava users, so that we have a place were to chat Smile
Place to post your latest rides, brag about KOMs, point out glitches, show 30% climbs, advertise yourself, add your Strava memes or post whatever makes you happy.

#strava
"Uphill, downhill, I like that"
I am not knocking Strava and like applications, but I just found it to be a joke. It really just provides what I already get on my 25 yr old cyclometer, and all the other superfluous stuff just wastes my time. I become a better cyclist by biking and not by over analyzing the data provided.
I already know my routes, distances, times, and elevations; and on new routes my information is available without having to carry my phone and also have it mounted.
I just used it for the first time and it showed approx. 33m/100ft elevation over a 5 mile ride on essentially flat terrain; more like 8m total elevation in reality. It makes me wonder how many people falsely believe the results. I assume it is accurate in some cases, but I can easily calculate my climbing with a topo map and surveying applications without being misguided by Strava's program. Its distance calculation seemed okay; but it had erroneous wattage and caloric data (I can do the math!).
All I need is average speed and distance data for information to help determine my level of fitness and determine if I am improving or not.
I also saw some sort of "challenge" they had. Cycle 200Km/124mi in July; that's only about 4 miles a day! I just knocked out 177Km/110mi in 15 days (4 of which I was idle) so it is a bit too trivial for my 60yr old injured body to take seriously.
If it works for others, great; but I'll pass on it and leave my phone at home while enjoying stress free riding and no loss of time on post rides pouring through useless data.
Also, it wants you to enter very important stuff like the nickname of your bike, or your shoes. Give a me break! App removed from phone.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
I checked my ride via Strava again just to see if it corrected itself, but same elevation climbing data which is still erroneous and makes my wonder how it determines my altitude. I have decided, out of curiosity, just to check the elevation gain while climbing the stairs since I can easily physically verify my elevation gain in this way amd determine the application's accuracy.
Take care,
Jesper

(07-11-2023, 05:13 AM)Jesper Wrote:  I am not knocking Strava and like applications, but I just found it to be a joke. It really just provides what I already get on my 25 yr old cyclometer, and all the other superfluous stuff just wastes my time. I become a better cyclist by biking and not by over analyzing the data provided.
I already know my routes, distances, times, and elevations; and on new routes my information is available without having to carry my phone and also have it mounted.
I just used it for the first time and it showed approx. 33m/100ft elevation over a 5 mile ride on essentially flat terrain; more like 8m total elevation in reality. It makes me wonder how many people falsely believe the results. I assume it is accurate in some cases, but I can easily calculate my climbing with a topo map and surveying applications without being misguided by Strava's program. Its distance calculation seemed okay; but it had erroneous wattage and caloric data (I can do the math!).
All I need is average speed and distance data for information to help determine my level of fitness and determine if I am improving or not.
I also saw some sort of "challenge" they had. Cycle 200Km/124mi in July; that's only about 4 miles a day! I just knocked out 177Km/110mi in 15 days (4 of which I was idle) so it is a bit too trivial for my 60yr old injured body to take seriously.
If it works for others, great; but I'll pass on it and leave my phone at home while enjoying stress free riding and no loss of time on post rides pouring through useless data.
Also, it wants you to enter very important stuff like the nickname of your bike, or your shoes. Give a me break! App removed from phone.

Strava is a mixed bag of goodies for alot of riders, it can be a way to start or join a community, challenge yourself against other riders, or simply measure data for people who dont know how to do the math.
Its like social media for athletes, a way to connect with other people like how we connect on this forum.

Love the challenges part, the 200km one is pretty easy but you can opt for higher ones like 400kms, 600kms and more. Sponsored challenges can also give you a chance to win something to, I think the most expensive one to date is a Breitling Watch, some challanges also let you get a discount off on Cycling Kits usually from Le Col.

So for something totally free, I think it offers alot of value for people who are just starting to develop a love for the sport or wants to progress further but dont have access tools and knowledge that you already have as a veteran in this sport.
(07-12-2023, 10:42 PM)meamoantonio Wrote:  
(07-11-2023, 05:13 AM)Jesper Wrote:  I am not knocking Strava and like applications, but I just found it to be a joke. It really just provides what I already get on my 25 yr old cyclometer, and all the other superfluous stuff just wastes my time. I become a better cyclist by biking and not by over analyzing the data provided.

Strava is a mixed bag of goodies for alot of riders, it can be a way to start or join a community, challenge yourself against other riders, or simply measure data for people who dont know how to do the math.
Its like social media for athletes, a way to connect with other people like how we connect on this forum.

Love the challenges part, the 200km one is pretty easy but you can opt for higher ones like 400kms, 600kms and more. Sponsored challenges can also give you a chance to win something to, I think the most expensive one to date is a Breitling Watch, some challanges also let you get a discount off on Cycling Kits usually from Le Col.

So for something totally free, I think it offers alot of value for people who are just starting to develop a love for the sport or wants to progress further but dont have access tools and knowledge that you already have as a veteran in this sport.

I totally agree with you, and I am probably not much into the sharing as much as others. I challenged myself and others during my racing days and younger years. Now I'm just happy to still be able to enjoy the sport unfettered by anything except my physical limitations.
Take care,
Jesper

Hello Jesper,

I am with you on Strava or other similar apps. I used it when I needed motivation but now completely gone private. I was private and wasn't using it when I was riding through the mountains in South America. I didn't even track any of those rides. I wanted to be present and I was present without having to worry about recording my elevation gain/loss accurately or giving.

The only time I went public was when I started riding sole on the dangerous part of the TEMBER (Trans Ecuador Mountain Bike Route). This was only if I got lost or went missing, people could easily know my last known location..:-)

After that, I am back in private mode. Yes, people might think I am not exercising but I know if I am running or biking or not..:-)

(07-13-2023, 12:16 AM)Jesper Wrote:  

I totally agree with you, and I am probably not much into the sharing as much as others. I challenged myself and others during my racing days and younger years. Now I'm just happy to still be able to enjoy the sport unfettered by anything except my physical limitations.

Im a big fan of your posts here and you are an inspiration for all of us younger gents and ladies here, I hope I can still ride as often as you do when I get to be your age
I second your comments and sentiments, meamoantonio. I too hope to maintain health, motivation and stamina like Jesper later in my life especially when I can easily hang my shoes and rest. Jesper is showing the way.

(07-28-2023, 09:54 AM)meamoantonio Wrote:  

Im a big fan of your posts here and you are an inspiration for all of us younger gents and ladies here, I hope I can still ride as often as you do when I get to be your age