Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Winter bike commute motivaton
Winter is casting its shadow over us. Any winter bike commuters here?
Snow, cold, wind, rain & slush are the typical add-ons during the cold months here. How do you motivate yourself to keep commuting on a bicycle daily during the cold months, even though the weather is nasty & dark? The commute takes +/- the same time with car vs bicycle. Yet it's so convenient to jump into a warm car, especially in the mornings. And I am not a morning person :/ Do you somehow reward yourself or has it just become a habit?
(10-21-2019, 11:37 AM)SomeOrdinaryGuy Wrote:  Winter is casting its shadow over us. Any winter bike commuters here?
Snow, cold, wind, rain & slush are the typical add-ons during the cold months here. How do you motivate yourself to keep commuting on a bicycle daily during the cold months, even though the weather is nasty & dark? The commute takes +/- the same time with car vs bicycle. Yet it's so convenient to jump into a warm car, especially in the mornings. And I am not a morning person :/ Do you somehow reward yourself or has it just become a habit?

just do it, it is all about beginning the process and having that first push! you do it once, you get the feeling. soon it becomes a ritual, and taking the car is not an option anymore. try to treat yourself after successful commutes with whatever makes you happy, it can be a cup of coffee or beer, or chocolate hehe.

equip your bicycle properly with fenders, strong lights, secure yourself with clothing that protects you in case it rains or snows. warm gloves, at least that is important in my case. if you have the right gear, it means one step closer to the victory. set your mindset and think about your days in the office - if you have to sit long hours at your desk, then why sit in the car? get on that saddle, be active and feel good about it. that is another reward.
(10-21-2019, 11:37 AM)SomeOrdinaryGuy Wrote:  Winter is casting its shadow over us. Any winter bike commuters here?

The most important thing I think is to keep the spirit to keep the body healthy and primed. We do not have to force to pedal the bike in a condition that may be somewhat extreme but at risk to the body, many other alternatives so that we can still pedal the bike without trying to get an excessive risk. For those of you who want to keep cycling in this winter so as not to forget the clothes that fit and comfortable.
please motivate me also i m so tired and cant cycle in winter its to cold to cycling at morning
(11-17-2019, 09:18 PM)sethrollen5965 Wrote:  please motivate me also i m so tired and cant cycle in winter its to cold to cycling at morning

where do you bike? like i wrote above, dress yourself properly and give yourself a treat of some sort after the ride is done.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-03-2020, 11:31 AM
Last Post: baller

02-27-2020, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Aab