Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Pants for autumn bike commutes
Hallo hallo. It's getting chillier now and I'm looking for long pants that fit my autumn bike rides Smile I often have sweaty legs after the ride so something breathable is perrrrfect and what I'm aiming for! Temperatures are around 30 to 50ºF (0 to +10ºC) or a bit warmer. Wind or water proof is not a requirement, but an advantage Smile #help
(10-03-2019, 10:15 AM)Megster Wrote:  Hallo hallo. It's getting chillier now and I'm looking for long pants that fit my autumn bike rides Smile I often have sweaty legs after the ride so something breathable is perrrrfect and what I'm aiming for! Temperatures are around 30 to 50ºF (0 to +10ºC) or a bit warmer. Wind or water proof is not a requirement, but an advantage Smile #help

Hey. What's the plan? To keep wearing these pants afterwards or just having them as the 2nd pants during the ride, or to exchange them once you have reached the destination?
(10-04-2019, 08:07 AM)Henry_G Wrote:  
(10-03-2019, 10:15 AM)Megster Wrote:  Hallo hallo. It's getting chillier now and I'm looking for long pants that fit my autumn bike rides Smile I often have sweaty legs after the ride so something breathable is perrrrfect and what I'm aiming for! Temperatures are around 30 to 50ºF (0 to +10ºC) or a bit warmer. Wind or water proof is not a requirement, but an advantage Smile #help

Hey. What's the plan? To keep wearing these pants afterwards or just having them as the 2nd pants during the ride, or to exchange them once you have reached the destination?

1st or 3rd option, two layers is too much (for the mentioned reasons #sweating). Functionality , that's the word Smile
Depending on what I'll do at the destination I have light trekking trousers, in summer with zip off legs. When it's getting cooler and I plan to walk around outside or sit down outside I will either go for heavier canvas type trousers or maybe with some added thin insulation, maybe fleece. As a sweater I really used to like the icebreaker hoody, but their quality has declined in the last decade. Still, those merino shirts are comfy and don't smell as quickly as lycra... important when you sweat easily and a lot. I usually bike in thin triathlon shorts until there's snow on the ground or the temperatures drop below - 5°C (for rides <45 minutes). Upper body (cooler temps): merino shirt and either long sleeve winter cycling jersey, maybe with a wind breaker jacket on top, or merino plus my GoreTex rain jacket.

I use Bontrager thermal tights, but got one or two larger than what I should be wearing so they are not actually skin tight but still cut the wind. I can't wear them much in Florida, and even on my northern trips they are too warm (for me anyways) at temps much above 40°F since my legs stay pretty warm cranking up the hills. They were fairly inexpensive since I bought them in FL where they weren't selling very well; go figure. $30, but normally around $70-$80; black with zipper fit at the ankles (mine being oversized cover my shoes little, which was perfect); and some reflective stuff somewhere on them.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post