Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Critical Mass, how it started
An article covered on San Francisco Cronicle about the beginnings of the Critical Mass movement and how it looked back in the 1994 Smile

https://www.sfchronicle.com/oursf/article/See-what-a-Critical-Mass-ride-looked-like-in-14451158.php

photo by Lea Suzuki
Autobahn
That's a cool reading! Smile Hah, I wasn't even born when the critical mass movement experienced its inception. This was interesting to read because I've been participating in few rides here around Denver including one last month.
"Uphill, downhill, I like that"
(09-21-2019, 06:28 AM)G_M Wrote:  An article covered on San Francisco Cronicle about the beginnings of the Critical Mass movement and how it looked back in the 1994 Smile

Interesting article! I would have joined them. I can see why drivers would be angry and frustrated, but sometimes it takes radical action to make things better for cyclists. I've been held up when hundreds of cyclists invaded Delaware roads on their ride to the beach but at least that was an annual affair. It's rough when you've got to get to a bathroom, quickly, and you're being held up by the cyclists.

I used to ride a motorcycle to Rolling Thunder in DC. When it was over, and the cops opened the roads up, again, we'd be riding in staggered format to leave the city. Angry drivers let us know they were furious by jumping in among us and breaking our formation. It was dangerous and stupid for them to do that.
If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.
(09-21-2019, 06:28 AM)G_M Wrote:  An article covered on San Francisco Cronicle about the beginnings of the Critical Mass movement and how it looked back in the 1994 Smile

https://www.sfchronicle.com/oursf/article/See-what-a-Critical-Mass-ride-looked-like-in-14451158.php

photo by Lea Suzuki

Thanks for sharing this

(09-26-2019, 06:41 PM)CharleyFarley Wrote:  I used to ride a motorcycle to Rolling Thunder in DC. When it was over, and the cops opened the roads up, again, we'd be riding in staggered format to leave the city. Angry drivers let us know they were furious by jumping in among us and breaking our formation. It was dangerous and stupid for them to do that.

So typical to experience clashes between "classes", respectively pedestrians, cyclists, motorbikers, car drivers ... pedestrians not respecting the bike lanes, cyclists being too reckless on neutral paths. Car drivers just being di**s. That is nature. I have been angry at a group of road cyclists who took over 2/3 of the road while I was trying to overtake them by car. I have also been furious with car drivers who have not respected 6ft or even 4ft cyclist<>car distance when shooting past me at 60mph. But that is another story.
Nice read, thanks!
a friend shared a video from the Critical mass event in Zurich (Switzerland) where he participated with thousands of other riders estimated close to 10,000