Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take part in the July Giveaway for an Electric Commuter Bike from KBO Bike

Derailleur terminology..
Hello folks. I'm planning on upgrading my rear derailleur and in the course of shopping around I've come across some confusing terminology. Such as: Top normal (traditional), Low normal, and Rapid Rise. I was wondering if anyone would be able to explain the differences. Thanks.

They have reversed spring systems:
Top Normal - A derailleur that shifts to a larger sprocket (easier gear) when you PUSH the thumb lever. Then the spring tension (when you pull the forefinger lever) brings the derailleur back down to a smaller sprocket.
Low Normal (aka Rapid Rise) - A derailleur that uses the spring tension to shift to a larger sprocket (easier gear) when you PULL the forefinger lever. This type allows you to shift to an easier gear a lot faster.

Thanks Alex. All the different descriptions had me scratching my head.


Forum Jump:

10 Latest Posts
change gears on my giant trooper
Today 05:51 PM
Today 04:17 PM
advice on which bike?
Today 03:24 PM
Spacing of the rear part of the steel fr...
Today 12:01 PM
Shimano GRX shifter with 11-speed mounta...
Today 11:48 AM
Newest toy
Today 09:44 AM
One expensive lock vs two cheaper locks?
Today 08:30 AM
Shifter repair
Today 07:47 AM
Recumbent bike suggestion for seniors
Today 06:41 AM
Hubless fatbike
Today 06:35 AM

Top 5 Posters This Month
no avatar 1. Jesper
32 posts
no avatar 2. ReapThaWhirlwind
13 posts
no avatar 3. JR Namida
9 posts
no avatar 4. Criminal
5 posts
no avatar 5. FitEyes
4 posts