Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

New bike
new wheels 2014 ccm static , low end bike but I was wondering if I should replace the stock brake levers and stock shinmano twist gears to the shinmano barker lever/gear changer combo if so how hard would it be to do soo , also I got a older straight frame bike for driving in rain or snow , was wondering if I should put front shocks on it or not , any opinion is appreciated
Would cost more than the low end bike to convert shifters.

No you do not need a front shock. Cost more than the bike.

Sorry, enjoy what you got service it well and make it work well for you.
Never Give Up!!!
Shocks - NO!!

The one bike I have with a front suspension fork is going to be upgraded to a rigid fork.
Nigel
well my new ccm static is a 400 dolls bike got her on sale for 200 and I found a set of shinmano brake lever/gear changer combo on ebay for 50 just wondering if I should do it or not because I hates grip shifters , as for shocks on my old beater I well leave rigid forks on her
(04-01-2014, 04:08 PM)ty-oddman Wrote:  well my new ccm static is a 400 dolls bike got her on sale for 200 and I found a set of shinmano brake lever/gear changer combo on ebay for 50 just wondering if I should do it or not because I hates grip shifters , as for shocks on my old beater I well leave rigid forks on her

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hmmm. I first thought you had racer bars, for those brake shifter cambos are very expensive.

I agree re the grip shifters, although I think Nigel would differ. :-)

Yeh $50 is OK if its compatible with your system, are cables included. Nigel or PK might know more but photo or link is needed. How many speeds, deraileur type etc.

You can use regular bar mounted lever/ trigger shifters. Like city bikes use. What kind of bars do you have?
This is similar to what I have on my MB.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-EF-51-Triple-7-Speed-Shifter/dp/B004Z8EBJY/ref=pd_sim_sg_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=00K4RNNVHD9BN54WBZZ8
Never Give Up!!!
she has a shinmano set up , as far as I knows shes currently not at my house so I cant look for sure and this are what I would like man , but my problem is adjusting it right , she front disc and rear is normal brakes shes 21 speed , I am on my phone so not sure how to upload pics ill try thought
this is my old beater , I plan on keeping her for the rain and snow
Yeh, OK. The 7 speed shifters I posted above will work, as per adjustment lots of info in the repair guide on top of this page and manufacturers site.

IMO for now ride it for a while than decide.
Never Give Up!!!
so what esle can I do to her too give her a bit of change nothing expensive just few things I can change ??
now you also saw my old beater , do you still say no too the shocks on her? , old breathe got a 2. 125 inch front tire and a 1. 95 on back oringal was 1. 75 lol
This is my bike with a suspension fork: http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-3167-page-1.html

It will be getting a rigid fork when it gets to the top of the project list, there are several bikes ahead of it right now.

For an idea of what to do with an older rigid frame MTB: http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-5665.html It started out as a late '80's / early '90's bike.
Nigel
both of them bikes are deadly Nigel , the old beater is still my project to just not so much since I got the new bike , I put bigger tires on her back rack on front and back , chrome bottle holder , chrome quick release for the seat , biggie reflector on back , and riser bars , I dont know if theres anything esle I can do by with her
(04-01-2014, 07:23 PM)ty-oddman Wrote:  both of them bikes are deadly Nigel , the old beater is still my project to just not so much since I got the new bike , I put bigger tires on her back rack on front and back , chrome bottle holder , chrome quick release for the seat , biggie reflector on back , and riser bars , I dont know if theres anything esle I can do by with her

Unfortunately, neither of your bikes has a cro-mo frame, which to me, makes them far less desirable of investment. I would look for a nice older bike with a cro-mo or 531 frame or even just a cro-mo or 531 frame for your project(s).
Nigel
what is a cro mo and 531 frame??
This is the alloy, a steel that contains Chrome and Molybdenum (I guess that's the English name...). 531 is the type number of bike tubes (the steel stuff the frame is built out of) by Reynolds, this type is legendary. The frames (high end, quite often road bikes) are light and relatively stiff, and (to many) more desirable than anything that came after it. If you get a frame out of that stuff: get it, treasure it, and ride it! These frames are superior even to modern entry level stuff (1k$ for road bikes) but especially to the BSOs[1] that many people seem to buy these days.

[1] bike shaped objects. Have nothing to do with bikes except for the shape. Frames are heavy, components severely outdated and lowest end, "suspension" forks a bloody joke.
To add to Joe's excellent information; Reynolds 531 is a "manganese–molybdenum, medium-carbon steel" For more info see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_531 and references at the bottom of the link.

Both of my bikes that I linked to above have cro-mo frames. The Motiv has a cro-mo fork as well. The GT will be getting a rigid Burley cro-mo fork to replace the suspension fork.
Nigel