Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Brake upgrade
I am new to the road bike life. I am looking to upgrade some components. First off, I have a Vilano Shadow. It is a nice ride. But naturally there isn't much info out there about it. I am looking to upgrade the brakes to Shimano 105's or maybe Tiagra . Any thoughts? The only specs I have "Brakes: Dual Pivot Alloy Caliper". But here is a link if that helps. Vilano Shadow Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Hi mumra06. Welcome to BT!

Before I spent the money to upgrade the calipers, I would go the cheap route and invest in new pads. Even entry-level brakes these days are a considerable improvement over what was on the market just 10 years ago. One of the ways that manufacturers keep the cost of their brakes down is by specing low-cost pads which, IMO, is counter-productive.

Find yourself some new pads from Jagwire, KoolStop, Shimano or other name-brand and give those a try.
I'm sure that your braking performance will improve but, if not enough to suit you - then consider the calipers to be the culprit. Your new pads can be saved as replacements for the new brakes that you buy.

PS: Even before I swapped pads, I would make sure that the current pads are adjusted properly for height and toe and making solid contact with the braking surface of the rim.

Rob
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
RobAR, thank you for the wise advice. I will most certainly start with brake pads! I'm hoping they will solve my braking issues.
I have experimented a lot, admittedly with other types of brakes, but my results should be relevant, I have found, regardless of conditions, a Kool Stop in Salmon to be the best performer. I should know, I probably weigh 100 lbs more than you & I ride in town so I am on the brakes a lot of the time.
There again I don't use your type of brake, you might check with nfmisso, he's big & uses that style of brake. Big guys are harder to stop, so we tend to need good brakes.
These are taller (more brake track contact) & come with two pad types, but trust me, the salmon stop better, wet, dry, any temperature. I'm not sure if they fit your brakes though.