Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rebuild or Replacement of 1991 Deore DX Shifter
Hi all!

New member here and already looking for help. I have an ancient Specialized Rockhopper Comp mountain bike. After a decade + of non-use, I'm looking to prep it for basic use (exercise, light trails, general trashing). Unfortunately, the shifter for the front derailleur is non-functional. I can shift to the big chainring, but it instantly drops back to the small (3 x 7 drivetrain). I need to either rebuild the shifter (pita) or replace it with something equivalent.

Being the bike isn't worth much, I hate to spend tons on it, but I do have friends that can help out if I can find parts. I have not been able to find a "vintage" DX shifter.

Any suggestions? I will probably buy a new bike in the next year, so its not a biggie, but I do look forward to riding old school!

Even a diagram showing how its assembled would be helpful in the event it can be rebuilt.

Thanks in advance
It might be a gummed up ratchet. You can use eg. Triflow to wash that gunk out. If you cannot fix it, replace with about any other Shimano MTB shifter. The ones for the front are really inexpensive if you order last year's or older part.

Oh, and please replace your brake pads!
Thank you for the info. I tried the Triflow thing and unfortunately it didn't work. I'll find a suitable replacement.

And I'll replace the brake pads. They're more like hard plastic than rubber at this point!
You also might check the shifter cable. It could be frayed or rusted in the housing causing some friction. Possibily disconnect the cable from the shiter and then see how it functions.
Actually better remove the cable from the housing but leave in the shifter and see if it moves correctly by pulling it a bit with one hand and shifting with the other.
(07-30-2013, 07:03 PM)Cowtown Wrote:  I have not been able to find a "vintage" DX shifter.
Thanks in advance
Deore DX Shifters are on Ebay for about $50. Just do a thumb shifter search on Amazon & you'll find a ton of $10-$30 options with or without an integral brake lever (watch it, new levers are normally designed for V-brakes). Your picture looks like it's an integral set up that isn't what I call ancient.
It's got V-brakes, right?
If you bought a new integral shifter/brake lever, you could buy excellent Kool Stop Supra 2 pads for $11 or a new front V-brake set w/pads for $16ish. Add $8 for a front cable if you are switching from cantilevers to V-brakes.
If you need cantilever brake shoes- spend $10 & get Kool Stop Eagle Claw 2 in SALMON. This style of brake from Kool Stop really works, I've tried just about every variation of rim brake they make. I use the Supra2 which is the style for less ancient (your words) V-type brakes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-23-2015, 11:17 PM
Last Post: nfmisso