Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Need a new seat
hi can anyone tell me what is the best seat for comfort i am new to riding a bike as the one that i have on the bike feels like a knife cutting me in half thanks steve
it depends on the geometry of your bones. I am a BIG guy, and prefer rather narrow saddles. Wider ones cause too much friction on my inner thighs resulting in lots of pain and swelling.

Take a look at my bikes in this section: http://forums.bikeride.com/forum-36.html

The T50 now has a much narrower saddle than in the pictures.
Nigel
Hi Steve, nice to see an Essex guy here! My most comfortable saddle has been a Brooks B17. It is a leather saddle and after a break in period and using the Brooks Prrofide to soften the leather had been the most comfortable. Go to any UK site or the Brooks one. One of the biggest items on bikes to keep prices down are cheaper seats and pedals. I hope this helps you. By the way, what saddle did you have?
By the way, don't forget to adjust the seat with the saddle flat and take care to adjust the seat post correctly. If it is too long it could make you rock from side to side with dire results!
Cycle the streets of Bristol!
Hi Steve
I agree with Nigel and ghost. When I started riding regularly again after ten years of not, I felt just like you do and thought a wider saddle would help. I (stupidly) ignored my LBS's advice and bought one, which had a 30 day exchange. It chafed my inner thigh something terrible. I exchanged it for the size their sit bone fitter said I needed, even though it was narrower than my original saddle. It took a little while to get the saddle height, angle and fore/aft settings dialed in, but now I've ridden 50+ miles with no problems.
Pete

Ride on, keep on riding
Riding on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on
Ride on, gonna have myself a good time - AC/DC