Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

I just bought a 1987 Peugeot Iseran P6...
Hey, I just purchased a 1987 Peugeot Iseran P6 off of Craigslist, and I'm not sure if I got a good deal or not. I've read some articles stating that the HLE material that this model is made of isn't necessarily that great, and that this bicycle is one of the cheaper models that Peugeot has made.

I purchased it for $225, but I'm quite sure that everything on the bicycle is COMPLETELY original (including tires), the paint is in immaculate condition (only a few tiny chips on the fork), the chrome on the wheels looks like someone just finished polishing it, and it shifts beautifully. With that said, I was just wondering if someone who has knowledge and experience with Peugeot road bikes could shed some light on this topic, and let me know if I got a good deal or if I made a mistake. Thanks.

Here is a larger photo just in case, just click on it to enlarge:

http://imageshack.us/f/709/img0970b.jpg/
I don't know anything about used Peugeot's but I have seen other older bikes at bike shops (sold as used) go for more than that and in worst shape. That's a really nice looking bike.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
Yeah, the tires still have a good amount of life in them and the tubes pumped right up and hold their air well. I just hope someone could tell me if I got a decent deal or what not.
HLE is a manganese steel alloy. Definitely better than low end high tensile steel, but not considered one of the better steel alloys. From the parts this was clearly a lower end model. But not their lowest.

Good solid bike in very nice condition. Definitely worth what you paid. Put some good brake pads on it, braking performance isn't the best from this style, but new pads will help.

http://retropeugeot.com/
(06-03-2011, 12:30 PM)DaveM Wrote:  HLE is a manganese steel alloy. Definitely better than low end high tensile steel, but not considered one of the better steel alloys. From the parts this was clearly a lower end model. But not their lowest.

Good solid bike in very nice condition. Definitely worth what you paid. Put some good brake pads on it, braking performance isn't the best from this style, but new pads will help.

http://retropeugeot.com/

I definitely noticed that when I first bought the thing, and have already put on Dia-Compe brakes that I took off an old Miyata my dad owned, they still look brand new as well. I felt relief once you said, "Definitely worth what you paid." The lady wanted $275, but I talked her down because I even knew that was a bit much. It also came with the original owner's manual, and it was purchased back on June 6, 1987 at an old bike shop in my city.
Nice Ride!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I have this exact same model, except the in alternate color black. I bought it new in 1987 for approx $225. Just pulled it out of storage to make it roadworthy again, and am very excited to ride it! Mine is in excellent condition cosmetically with low mileage. Yours seems to be even better. I've seen precious few in NYC, and usually they are quite beat up. I would not experience any buyers remorse if I were you Smile

The Iseran was Peugeot's second to lowest model at the time. I've never ridden any super fancy bikes. I don't know what characteristics a "better" steel alloy has, but I'm not concerned with weight and I can't think of anything I'd do to damage this frame that wouldn't leave me far worse off than the bike, so I wouldn't worry about it. I'd have occasional issues with the chain slipping off the chainwheel, but that's cheap 80's deraillers for you. Not a dealbreaker for a fun bike that gets a lot of compliments these days!

I suspect this bike would make a sweet fixed-gear conversion. The short horizontal dropouts seem adequate. But I presently haven't the time nor funds to experiment with that. Enjoy your Peugeot!
Macintosh,
You're going to really enjoy your bike. I too have the same bike. I bought it from my ex-manager back in 87. I've had many good rides recently, including a 19 mile charity ride for the Children's Miracle Network in Hershey, PA.
I didn't have the forethought, however, when I bought it, to get the user manual and now that I've been riding more I have several questions that probably are answered in the manual. I found the French version on the retropeugeot.com website. Unfortunately I don't speak French, and web browsers won't translate photocopied material.
Is there anyway I could convince you to scan the manual and send me a copy? If you'd like, I am willing to pay for a copy or donate to a charity of your choice.

Thanks for your consideration,
Dennis
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerndgo/id94.html

http://cyclespeugeot.com/1980sCatalogs.html

Links for Peugeot catalogs

This is a stunningly beautiful bike. Just beautiful. Don't let other people's opinions color your experience of this classic, classy, wonderful bike.
(06-03-2011, 02:53 AM)Macintosh. Wrote:  Hey, I just purchased a 1987 Peugeot Iseran P6 off of Craigslist, and I'm not sure if I got a good deal or not. I've read some articles stating that the HLE material that this model is made of isn't necessarily that great, and that this bicycle is one of the cheaper models that Peugeot has made.

I purchased it for $225, but I'm quite sure that everything on the bicycle is COMPLETELY original (including tires), the paint is in immaculate condition (only a few tiny chips on the fork), the chrome on the wheels looks like someone just finished polishing it, and it shifts beautifully. With that said, I was just wondering if someone who has knowledge and experience with Peugeot road bikes could shed some light on this topic, and let me know if I got a good deal or if I made a mistake. Thanks.

Here is a larger photo just in case, just click on it to enlarge:

http://imageshack.us/f/709/img0970b.jpg/

Hi rest assured you got a good deal. its not easy finding original, unmolested bikes these days and that's what would give you the most pleasure and satisfaction when you ride it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-09-2023, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Jesper

09-08-2019, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Papa Dom

06-26-2019, 10:31 AM
Last Post: JoJoJo