Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

ALAN - 1989 Record 386...
I have (and have had in the past) many bikes, however, this is my favorite road and triathlon bike!!! I have owned this ALAN (more correctly "AlAn" for "Anodized Aluminum" alloy) since new and have ridden this bike more than 70,000 miles. It is a very light-weight, all aluminum bike. The only drawback is that tt is not very popular with those that like a softer ride or a bike that does not experience a disconcerting "lateral shimmy" at speeds greater than 40 miles per hour.
Don Cordier Aviation
Van Nuys Airport & McClellan-Palomar Airport
Van Nuys & Carlsbad, California USA
TEL: 818-400-2848 or 760-496-0764
e-mail: DonCordier@sbcglobal.net
Beautiful bike. Looks like a speed machine, has FAST written all over it
(05-14-2011, 02:58 AM)doctordee Wrote:  Beautiful bike. Looks like a speed machine, has FAST written all over it

Thank you for your complement! Yes, it is fairly fast for an "old man's bike". You may have noticed that I have a rather excessive large front chain ring. It is a 60 tooth but I needed to go to this size to get the best speed as I am not too good at high cadence but reasonably strong enough to push the tall gear when the wind resistance gets extreme (aerodynamic drag, ya' know!). the best I have achieved thusfar is 51 mph, however, that was only for about one mile.

What do you normally ride and what type (road, trail, etc.), brands and models are your favorite bikes?

Someday, I'd like to do a bike tour of Ireland and Scotland too!!!

Best wishes,

Don
Don Cordier Aviation
All of my bikes have been what we refer to as scrap or dumpster bikes. I restore bikes and donate to the company I work for and in turn they give to adults with learning disabilities. My present bike is a MTB, a 1980 falcon viper that was found in a collapsed shed, total rebuild and converted to road use.
Hi "doctordee",

Thank you for your reply. I am not clearly understanding, do you restore the bikes then donate the bikes to your company for your company to sell the restored bikes, or do you sell the restored bikes yourself and then donate the proceeds to your company for their charity program?

Best wishes,

Don
Don Cordier Aviation
Sorry did not explain myself very well. No I donate the bikes free of charge and likewise the company I work for (Which is a charity that homes adults with learning disabilities in the community) donate the bikes free of charge to their residents.
I'm assuming the frame you have is the stiffer model. My question is: Is there a way (frame ID etc.) to identify whether one has the stiffer frame or the softer ride one. I bought one (because when I raced my first ride was an AlAn)
and am picking it up down at this years Cirque but neither the seller nor I know whether it's the soft ride or the Stiffer frame (tt?)
(05-16-2014, 12:14 PM)Ranger63 Wrote:  I'm assuming the frame you have is the stiffer model. My question is: Is there a way (frame ID etc.) to identify whether one has the stiffer frame or the softer ride one. I bought one (because when I raced my first ride was an AlAn)
and am picking it up down at this years Cirque but neither the seller nor I know whether it's the soft ride or the Stiffer frame (tt?)

Howdy,

I am not familiar with a "softer" but mine is very stiff and rather "harsh riding". However, I liked it very much anyway and would still be riding it but for a "hit-and-Run driver". It is now not repairable as when hit, everyone is concerned about the bonding of the lugs and no one will inspect and/or certify that the bond is still tight and safe!!! Apparently the liability is just TOO great!!!

Good Luck ...

Best wishes,

Don
Don Cordier Aviation