Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Tyre Recommendation
Hi All,
I'm biking around europe on a Raleigh Pioneer (Hybrid) this summer. Current Tyres have worn out slightly which means I want a new pair. I'm looking for ideally a really quick tyre which won't puncture, I know that the two aren't usually very compatible so lets say speed is more important than puncture-proofing.
It's europe in the summer so I don't need the worlds greatest traction but I do need to be able to keep up with my friend riding a £500 giant road bike (tough believe me!)

so. any ideas? budget is about £30 tops. I'm looking on chain reaction cycles as they always have cheap stuff.
size is 700x28 i THINK, could be 25 will check.
TIA
hm. The fast(er) road tyres are usually 23-622 (they probably exceed your budget anyway) fastest are Conti GrandPrix 4000 S as tested by Tour-Magazin this year, they are also quite puncture resistant (for a racing tyre). I got a set for 45 EUR online. So yu might score a bargain somewhere. Check how wide your rims are, you might be able to mount those.

The lower (when compared to the flagships) level road tyres sometimes come in 25 or even 28 mm wide. I rode Schwalbe Blizzard (23mm) on my old road bike for a while, only one puncture per year, usually by large glass shards (>6mm long, needle shaped). They are slower and heavier since they have some puncture resistant guard inside (I think).

Another thing: in order to ride fast you have to be able to ride fast (be strong enough and have a good endurance) Wink tyres won't help all that much (well, about 2 minutes per 40km I believe).

Also: Since you plan to tour around Europe go for the more puncture resistant tyres. Nothing spoils the fun more than having to fix a flat in the rain....
Where are you going to go? Any plans so far? I can heartily recommend the Rhine valley between Koblenz and Mainz, especially if you enjoy drinking wine... Italy (Tuscany) is also great (except for the Italian car drivers, I'd say) but quite hot and dry during summer. The coast of the mediterranean sea is also very nice.
also, quick bit of help please.
On the sides of the existing tyre are the numbers: 37-622 followed by (700 x 35c) what do these mean? I assumed 700 is the diameter and 35 is tyre with, if that's the case what is 37-622 for?

thanks for the advice will bear it in mind. Our route is roughly amsterdam - genieva (I can't spell - don't judge) I have no flexibility in terms of size.

What is the reputation of continental tyres?
Quote:also, quick bit of help please.
On the sides of the existing tyre are the numbers: 37-622 followed by (700 x 35c) what do these mean? I assumed 700 is the diameter and 35 is tyre with, if that's the case what is 37-622 for??

In short 700x35c is the French measurement, I believe it's the overall circumference of the tyre and it's width in milimeters. The ETRTO is a newer measurement system that is attempting to be more accurate and include all tyre sizes, rather than the patchy combination of imperial and French measurements. 37-622 is 37mm wide, 622mm inner diameter.

Take a look at Schwalbe's site: http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/shop.sfxp, it's worth having a look through their technical document. There's some information on the ETRTO system, rolling resistance, puncture protection, etc.
37 is also the width. I have seen that they differ once or twice, it (seems) to depend on the method of measuring the width. For more info look at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

700 is the outer diameter (well, roughly...) in mm. This has nothing to do with imperial measures, the French have been using the metric system for quite a while....

You probably will not be able to mount a road cyle tyre on your bike. Some of the Schwalbe Marathons are ok, also the Racing Ralph and Cx-Pro. I saw a test that the MTB tyres were actually faster on-road and offroad than the hybrid good for neither Marathons, but that was some years ago. On-road you'll only need slicks, profile will not do any good. Since your friend is riding a road bike: check out the Schwalbe Kojack (I think it is called).

Continental has (in my opinion) quite a good reputation, as mentioned they produce one of the best clinchers on the market. Schwalbe is also a very good company.

Amsterdam - Geneve should take you (probably) along the Rhine valley (well, one possible route)
I just put Michelin City's on my Raliegh Hybrid, major improvement in rolling resistance over the OEM's. mainly due to the 87psi versus 65psi. They are tough tires, so punctures would be a minor issue with them.

I would suggest looking for 700 x 28 tires with a maximum pressure rating of 87 psi (6 Bar). The Michelin City is but one choice.
Nigel