Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Advice for aheadset for my 11/8th Aluminium frame please? - See Photo
Hi,

I am a real newbie at MTB stuff and appreciate all the help i receive, so here is another question for you experts please?

I need to buy a aheadset for my Saracen 11/8th Aluminum frame, and i have read some references to "internal" and other stem/head fitting, and i am a little confused as to what i need?

Can somebody take a look at the photo of my frame in question please and offer some advice as to what would fit and what i need to buy to create a complete 11/8th aheadset system please?

many thanks in advance,
NewibieAM - England-UK

[attachment=85]
It sounds like you have established that the frame takes a 1 1/8" headset. If so, the inside diameter on the frame where the headset goes in should measure 34.0 mm. (See: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-headsets.html , inside diameter of the frame would match the "frame cup outside diameter").
By "aheadset" I assume you mean a "threadless headset". (Aheadset is one of many brands of headset.)
You would normally buy a complete headset, no need to get individual parts. You then also need a fork and stem that are designed for 1 1/8" threadless. The fork also needs to be for the proper wheel size and be fitted for disk or cantilever style brakes, depending on which way you are going.
If you are building the frame up from scratch, you might look around for someone who has a bike with a damaged frame you can buy cheap. Building a whole bike by buying all individual components can get very pricey compared to what you get if you just buy a whole new bike. have fun

Hi DaveM,<br />
Once again many thanks for taking the time to respond so concisely.
I will respond to your statements as follows,in order:-
1) Yes, the inside diameter( this appears to be the Head Cup, ) on the head tube i noted as 33-34mm, ( i am using a steel rule to do this i have no specs with this bike frame).
2) Yes, Frame cup diam is as shown via your link::-
this is what Sheldon states -
"1 1/8" (28.6 mm) 30.0 mm 34.0 mm Most newer mountain bikes use this size."
Copyright Sheldon i hope he doesn't mind me quoting him on here?
3) Yes i do mean"By "aheadset" I assume you mean a "threadless headset". I did not realise "Aheadset" was a brand.
4) Thanks for the run down on headset & fork,disc brake requirements that is just the info i need.
5) i am building the frame up from scratch, and i got the Aluminum frame cheap i have sprayed it now its looking nice, i wanted the challenge of building and knowing the machine inside out.
all of this is new terminology to me which i have learned in the last 10 days or so.
I am watching the "Tour de France" on TV i don't want to miss it!
many thanks in advance,
NewibieAM - England-UK

Best way to learn! good luck