Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Does one replace mtb hubs?
I have shimano dx hubs that are 2+ years old and I ride 4-5 days at least 1 hr.

The front and rear hub bearings have been regreased once 6 months ago. They are once again wobbling and making a slight grinding sound. They are in the LBS getting re greased.

Do you ever need to replace the bearings or replace the actual hub? Or does simple regreasing work?

I understand I may need a new axle, but I'm wondering what the lifespan of hubs and bearings would be?

Mahalo from the Hawaiian Mtb er
When u ride in a peloton of 1 you never get dropped...
I have serviced some bikes that have not been serviced for years and still rode fine .

You should learn to service bearings yourself. You buy the tools only once and than have them. Its still less than LBS charge. Look at Alex's videos on this site.

If the wheel wobbles the cones are set too loose.

I am heretic and I use a marine bearing grease in my wheels. Not as slippery as bike special Teflon grease but more durable, sticks better and waterproof. IMO.

If the wheel was ran loose than race damage could have resulted. Changing hubs is usually as expensive or more than getting new wheels. Unless you do it yourself, and lacing and truing a wheel is a lot of special work.
Never Give Up!!!
Thanks for the reply George ET but could you elaborate on the following quote?

"If the wheel was ran loose than race damage could have resulted. "

what is race damage? I think it might have been run loose

also do u ever have to replace the bearings?
The bearings in typical arrangement roll on the axle on the inner surface and the race machined into the hub on the outer surface. Loose wobbly wheel could cause uneven wear on both surfaces. This is true also of the steering head and the crank.

It would take a bit to do this. So most likely all you need is to re grease and tighten properly so there is no play in the wheel but it rolls freely.

Suggest looking at Alex's bearing video and wheel service video on top of this page in the repair guide.
Never Give Up!!!
Have a look at this:-
http://sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html

and this:-
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105

Normal bike wheel bearings are "Cup & Cone".
The "cup" is inside the hub.
The "cone" is on the axle.
Between the two surfaces are the ball bearings.
All should be nice and shiny with no pitting, cracks or grey in colour.
With the proper adjustment, and grease, the bearings should last for many thousands of miles. Without grease and the wrong adjustment (too slack or too tight) bearings will soon wear out.
Tools are fairly inexpensive to buy but it's the knowledge on how to do the job that's the key.
Check out Alex's video:-
http://bikeride.com/overhaul-wheel-bearings/

To get the right adjustment may take a few goes so have a bit of patience to get it right.
The rear is a bit different if there is a freehub involved but still reasonably easy to do.
The right adjustment should allow the wheel to turn under it's own weight. Most wheels have a heavy spot, and with the wheel in the bike, the wheel should turn itself with the heavy spot settling at the bottom.
If the hub is too slack then you will feel wobble at the rim.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
thanks so much to u all!