Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rear Hub Adjustment
Hi,

I have taken my rear hub apart and regreased it all and am having problems getting the final adjustment just right, I get the initial adjustment right but when final tightening it seems to either keep going past or getting too loose, it seems the whole spindle is turning and throwing it all out.

I've looked at the video on this site and it shows doing it from the non drive side of the wheel, I took the drive side off on my hub, so am wondering if this is why I having problems.

Would it be better to fully tighten the cone and locknut up on the drive side with slight play and then loosen and attempt the final adjustment from the non drive side that has the spacer between the cone and locknut?
Cannondale, handmade in USA............................................Refined in Surrey, England.
- Cannondale F500, Kona Blast, Kona Caldera-
It is easier to make the adjustment on the non-drive side, especially if you have a cassette or freewheel installed. Give that a try and let us know how it goes. Getting the adjustment just right can be tricky, you may have to keep trying it several times before it works out.
Thanks for the reply alex.

I tightened the drive side up and adjusted it from the non cassette side, like you say it is very tricky and it took a lot of attempts to get it just right, all good though as I learnt to feel the adjustment through the spindle.

I have it very slightly knocking when off the bike, when the wheel is back on the bike and the quick release is tightened up I can no longer feel any knocking through my fingers if I gently tug the rim side to side so am happy with it.
Cannondale, handmade in USA............................................Refined in Surrey, England.
- Cannondale F500, Kona Blast, Kona Caldera-

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-14-2020, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Dany6

09-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Joe_W

09-15-2008, 11:43 AM