Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the September Giveaway to Win the Luckeep X1 Pro ebike

Northeast of India or Myanmar rides
I am currently in the Northeast of India, foothills of the Himalayas and looks like this is a popular route for rides who ride to Myanmar and beyond. So, curious to see anybody has been out on this part...

Attached Files Image(s)

Hope the tour is going well. I am getting prepped for longer hillier rides/tours myself while my body can still handle the abuse. I need to build up a proper touring bike that has wide range gearing and build a tow behind aerodynamic "sleeping pod". After shoving stuff on a bike frame and not being happy with weight distribution, center of gravity, effects by cross winds, and their effects on the bike's handling; I would prefer to carry my gear off the frame, and I am sourcing materials for an enclosed storage trailer that also serves as a sleeping compartment. I have seen someone towing their ocean kayak (~10 to 12 feet long) I feel more confident about towing a low profile lightweight, trailer about 6 feet long. After touring and camping with minimal equipment (no tent or sleeping bag), I would like to have a better set-up providing more foul weather protection for my gear and myself and allow for a bit more comfort I am considering using a motorized and/or dynamo hub if weight (and cost) are not prohibitive.
Every time I see your set-up I think that I would be happy with it for day trips, but not for a long haul. At this point in my cycling life I think I deserve a bit more "luxury" when off the bike.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Oh wow, that cyclists was hauling a ocean kayak behind their bike? Wow.

Wow, a sleeping pod hauled behind a bike? That's cool and please do a series when You start that project, Jesper.

Even-though, most things on my bike are absolute things i use on a daily basis during my trip, some definitely are for a future trek or backpacking tríp. Because i am in the Himalayas, i had yo bring my backpack, hiking boots.

Last week, i climbed to a high of 5000 feet with all the gear and didn't push the bike ever. I was always riding when not resting under a tree..

Next week is going to be a test as I will first hit some 8000 and then 15,000. I will see how i handle those heights. We will see..

(09-29-2024, 04:17 AM)Jesper Wrote:  Hope the tour is going well. I am getting prepped for longer hillier rides/tours myself while my body can still handle the abuse. I need to build up a proper touring bike that has wide range gearing and build a tow behind aerodynamic "sleeping pod". After shoving stuff on a bike frame and not being happy with weight distribution, center of gravity, effects by cross winds, and their effects on the bike's handling; I would prefer to carry my gear off the frame, and I am sourcing materials for an enclosed storage trailer that also serves as a sleeping compartment. I have seen someone towing their ocean kayak (~10 to 12 feet long) I feel more confident about towing a low profile lightweight, trailer about 6 feet long. After touring and camping with minimal equipment (no tent or sleeping bag), I would like to have a better set-up providing more foul weather protection for my gear and myself and allow for a bit more comfort I am considering using a motorized and/or dynamo hub if weight (and cost) are not prohibitive.
Every time I see your set-up I think that I would be happy with it for day trips, but not for a long haul. At this point in my cycling life I think I deserve a bit more "luxury" when off the bike.
@Girish I hmam testing different existing platforms to repurpose for the frame work to see if they can be modified for my needs. Just weight tested a Schwinn aluminium tubed jogging pram designed for 2 kids. Not sure what it its weight limit design is, but I loaded it up with nearly 100 pounds of bricks and it survived the crumple test easily. It is light, but could ne made much lighter due to integrated suspension which is not needed for my application.

I still regularly use a backpack because it does not affect the handling of the bike compare to frame mounted storage. You waste a lot of energy when climbing and the frame is being slung from side to slide while pedalling out of the saddle. A backpack prevents that while providing a little extra weight on the downstroke, and I prefer that means over panniers if I can adequately fit my gear in it; except in hot weather.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Wow, Jesper i didn't realize that even a frame bag affects bike's handling. I thought/guess was just the panniers or even the saddle bag could affect the aerodynamics, if I can call that..

And, i like that you see the positives that a backpack is providing instead of thinking of it as a weight on the back. Now, I know why My downstrokes are stronger..:-)

(10-02-2024, 02:15 PM)Jesper Wrote:  @Girish I hmam testing different existing platforms to repurpose for the frame work to see if they can be modified for my needs. Just weight tested a Schwinn aluminium tubed jogging pram designed for 2 kids. Not sure what it its weight limit design is, but I loaded it up with nearly 100 pounds of bricks and it survived the crumple test easily. It is light, but could ne made much lighter due to integrated suspension which is not needed for my application.

I still regularly use a backpack because it does not affect the handling of the bike compare to frame mounted storage. You waste a lot of energy when climbing and the frame is being slung from side to slide while pedalling out of the saddle. A backpack prevents that while providing a little extra weight on the downstroke, and I prefer that means over panniers if I can adequately fit my gear in it; except in hot weather.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-26-2021, 08:36 PM
Last Post: Jesper

04-12-2020, 08:00 AM
Last Post: Sagan97

12-01-2019, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Henry_G