Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Need to disassemble cassette
I'm using a cassette/gear set from an MTB as a reduction gear on a DIY project. I need to remove a gear do to clearance. all the info I've found so far is, throw it away & get a new one & r&r info. I NEED to disassemble it. I'm also on a real tight budget.
Depends on the cassette you have. Ususally a cassette consists of a block of sprockets and spacers plus some loose sprockets and spacers. The "block" can be disassembled by finding the metal pins holding it together. Some cassettes, notably the higher end stuff, cannot be fully disassembled.

Or are you talking about a freewheel? Those can be taken apart while still on the hub using two chain whips, removing the outer sprocket that locks it.

Some pics would really help...
(09-29-2013, 03:46 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  Depends on the cassette you have. Ususally a cassette consists of a block of sprockets and spacers plus some loose sprockets and spacers. The "block" can be disassembled by finding the metal pins holding it together. Some cassettes, notably the higher end stuff, cannot be fully disassembled.

Or are you talking about a freewheel? Those can be taken apart while still on the hub using two chain whips, removing the outer sprocket that locks it.

Some pics would really help...
I'm having probs getting the lock ring off, assuming that's how it comes apart. it's a cheap falcon 6 speed. pic enclosed
ty for helping
First, that is a Freewheel, not a Cassette - there is a big difference in their construction.

What are you trying to salvage from it? It was not designed to be disassembled.

Sometimes, the first thing is to unscrew the ring using a pin wrench. With other designs, two chain whips can be used to unscrew the smallest cog.
Nigel
(09-29-2013, 12:44 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  First, that is a Freewheel, not a Cassette - there is a big difference in their construction.

What are you trying to salvage from it? It was not designed to be disassembled.

Sometimes, the first thing is to unscrew the ring using a pin wrench. With other designs, two chain whips can be used to unscrew the smallest cog.

I'm using it on a DIY project & need to remove a gear for clearance.
any way to figure out which way would work?
You cannot remove just one cog; they are a stack, you would have to create some sort of spacer to replace it.

You need to give us specific details about what you are trying to do for us to provide suggestions. Repeating what you said before adds no value.
Nigel
(09-29-2013, 05:38 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  You cannot remove just one cog; they are a stack, you would have to create some sort of spacer to replace it.

You need to give us specific details about what you are trying to do for us to provide suggestions. Repeating what you said before adds no value.

sorry, I keep getting, "just throw it away", as people don't read my question. I'm using it as a reduction gear, between the motor and the rear sprocket. making a spacer isn't a prob. so at risk of repeating myself, how do I get this apart?
(09-29-2013, 06:13 PM)daddy11692 Wrote:  so at risk of repeating myself, how do I get this apart?

As noted above: "Sometimes, the first thing is to unscrew the ring using a pin wrench. With other designs, two chain whips can be used to unscrew the smallest cog. "

After you get the first cog off, the others should un-screw.

You cannot really narrow it, because the housing that supports the cogs is the widest thing, and inside it is the ratchet mechanism that engages in one direction and freewheels in the opposite.
Nigel
(09-29-2013, 07:02 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(09-29-2013, 06:13 PM)daddy11692 Wrote:  so at risk of repeating myself, how do I get this apart?

As noted above: "Sometimes, the first thing is to unscrew the ring using a pin wrench. With other designs, two chain whips can be used to unscrew the smallest cog. "

After you get the first cog off, the others should un-screw.

You cannot really narrow it, because the housing that supports the cogs is the widest thing, and inside it is the ratchet mechanism that engages in one direction and freewheels in the opposite.
thanks, since my DIY is made of random pieces, I ended up using a #50 chain & sprockets. the #50 chain is too wide to fit on the small gear, so I need to remove the one behind it.
(09-29-2013, 07:25 PM)daddy11692 Wrote:  the #50 chain is too wide to fit on the small gear, so I need to remove the one behind it.

Maybe you could just grind the ends of the teeth off the cog that is getting in the way to give you the clearance. If you take it apart and remove that cog, you will need some sort of spacer to take it's place.
(09-29-2013, 10:47 PM)DaveM Wrote:  
(09-29-2013, 07:25 PM)daddy11692 Wrote:  the #50 chain is too wide to fit on the small gear, so I need to remove the one behind it.

Maybe you could just grind the ends of the teeth off the cog that is getting in the way to give you the clearance. If you take it apart and remove that cog, you will need some sort of spacer to take it's place.
thanks
(09-28-2013, 01:54 PM)daddy11692 Wrote:  I'm using a cassette/gear set from an MTB as a reduction gear on a DIY project. I need to remove a gear do to clearance. all the info I've found so far is, throw it away & get a new one & r&r info. I NEED to disassemble it. I'm also on a real tight budget.

Watch YouTube about freewheel, or cassette dissemble it help me with my second had mountain bike. I paid about £30 pounds on ebay for Chinese parts. Some where only couple of quid each. Very good value for home bike repairs. Hope this helps
(08-30-2014, 04:40 PM)Chambeux Wrote:  
(09-28-2013, 01:54 PM)daddy11692 Wrote:  I'm using a cassette/gear set from an MTB as a reduction gear on a DIY project. I need to remove a gear do to clearance. all the info I've found so far is, throw it away & get a new one & r&r info. I NEED to disassemble it. I'm also on a real tight budget.

Watch YouTube about freewheel, or cassette dissemble it help me with my second had mountain bike. I paid about £30 pounds on ebay for Chinese parts. Some where only couple of quid each. Very good value for home bike repairs. Hope this helps

thanks for the effort, but the post is a year old. I realized the gears were hardened & they are brittle. I used a punch & hammer to break out what I didn't need & used a hose clamp to hold the big gear in place. I've moved on to a 1 to 10 gear motor. yesterday I got a nearly new trike as my old project is an antique & no one knows who built it or how old is(the newest it could be is 1975ish)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post