Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

6 rear gear with 14 speed shifter ???
i got bicycle as a gift and when i try it out i notice that it has 14 speed shifter and the rear gear is 6 so is that okey or what?? i has to do 2 or 3 shifts to get 1 shift or so. should i buy a 6 speed shifter to replace that 14 one??
So you are saying there are two "sprockets" (gears) in the front where the pedals are? Also there are six gears, but the shifter shifts 7 different positions? If so, you can go with a 6 speed shifter. Also you may like the friction shifters a little better as they are more forgiving then the "position" style shifters.
I am trying to explain in terms that you will understand without going all bike terminology. Smile
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
sorry maybe i didnt clear it out rear derailleur has 6 rings and front derailleur has 3 rings. the shifters are 14 speed on both right and left side is that okey.
Can you post a picture or each shifter lever and from and back gears please?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Get the 6 speed version of this:
http://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Bicycle-Twist-Shifter-7-Speed/dp/B0017YX2OO/ref=sr_1_2?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1349711582&sr=1-2
Nigel
I think what you are saying is that there are 14 marks on the shifters on each side. If so, that doesn't mean that they are "14 speed" shifters. They are "friction" shifters that just happen to have 14 indicator marks. The marks themselves don't really relate to anything, they're more decoration than a useful indicator or what gear you're in. You turn the shifter until you are in the gear you want. They should work fine.
Ohhhh ok! Thanks for clarifying that Dave!! Smile guess I need some more coffee?!? Lol
yah daveM they work fine but its not that easy to remember which gear you are no and i have to click 2-3 times until i get the proper gear or it will become noisy. i did try to adjust it but the best result i got is to do 3 clicks for the second gear and then 2 clicks on each other gears but still not well for me i think i will grap a 6 speed shifter. with no extra indicators or what so ever
It sounds like you have a "ratchet" shifter, it clicks, but the clicks aren't meant to select a specific gear in the same way an indexed shifter does, where each click position references a specific sprocket on the rear cassette.

As with a friction shifter, you just move the shift lever to select a gear that feels right, then, if necessary, trim it so that the chain runs smoothly and quietly over the sprockets.

Possibly Related Threads...