Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

2002 (ish) Orange 222
Hi

Thought I'd finally get a picture of my race bike up. Just recently got some custom graphics done for it by someone on Ebay. Because of its age, Orange have run out of sticker kits for 222s (it's been replaced by the 223, then 224), so I had to get someone to do them for me.

It's a tad heavy at 39lb (ish), but compared to some of my mate's bikes she's a lightweight!

[Image: p4pb6198242.jpg]

[Image: p4pb6198250.jpg]

[Image: p4pb6198232.jpg]

[Image: p4pb6198271.jpg]

[Image: p4pb6198255.jpg]
Very nice, although when you mentioned Orange, I was thinking of the color and not a bike brand. I guess I need to start following MTB as well as road bikes.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
haha! Most people tend to confuse them with the mobile phone company (doh). Orange is based in Halifax (UK) and produces quality (albeit expensive) frames, the top end ones (such as the 222 and its successors and the Orange 5 trail bike) being built by hand in the UK itself.

They're also known as "echo-boxes" because that swingarm is hollow and resonates every bump on the trail.
Hand built, WOW! Not much gets hand build anymore. I watch the Science Channel (don't know if you get it in UK) a lot and there is a program called How It's Made that I really like, however, almost everything they show that is made of metal is done by robots in a big plant setting. Certainly faster to produce, but the quality just isn't there like it used to be years ago when almost everything was handmade.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
Nice Bike JonhB I like orange Lol.
(02-18-2011, 08:51 AM)JohnV Wrote:  Very nice, although when you mentioned Orange, I was thinking of the color and not a bike brand. I guess I need to start following MTB as well as road bikes.

Haha I thought the same thing when I came in. First reaction was "Hey that's not orange!" Wink Anyways nice bike.
Cheers guys!

When I was looking for the frame I found one that was actually orange on Ebay. Got outbid unfortunately, I'd love to have had an orange Orange.

End of the day though it's going to get pretty badly scuffed so I could always respray it in a few years when the paint's come off.

It is a shame you don't get much stuff made by hand anymore. The build quality really shows through in these though, not as many frames make it to this age in a good useable condition as you'd think. There's loads out there in the second-hand market just because so many survive (there are in the UK, I don't know if Orange ever sold any in the states)
JonB, I knew what an Orange was the moment that I read it. Wink

Schweet 222! I remember lusting after Oranges in the MTB magazines about 12 or so years ago. I had to settle for a Pro~Flex.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(02-18-2011, 04:24 PM)JonB Wrote:  Cheers guys! When I was looking for the frame I found one that was actually orange on Ebay. Got outbid unfortunately, I'd love to have had an orange Orange. End of the day though it's going to get pretty badly scuffed so I could always respray it in a few years when the paint's come off. It is a shame you don't get much stuff made by hand anymore. The build quality really shows through in these though, not as many frames make it to this age in a good useable condition as you'd think. There's loads out there in the second-hand market just because so many survive (there are in the UK, I don't know if Orange ever sold any in the states)

hi i agree its such a shame. robots make everything these days. dont even start counting the human cost (unemployment and loss of skills). i am sure you get a different feeling riding a handmade bike.