Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Greased... lightning?
Hi there, I recently purchased a Finishline Grease Gun - It worked fine for a while now the grease is painfully slow to come out. As far as i can tell there is no air in the attached tube of grease, any other ideas?
All the best,
Matt [attachment=1731]
Hey Matt. Welcome aboard!

You have one of the best guns out there (I own 3) but they can be tempermental. It sounds that you read the instructions. I still have the same problem on occasion. Try this... squeeze the tube as you pump until you get a good flow, stop with the plunger open. Then remove the tube from the gun. Get a bit on a finger-tip and pack the female on the gun without bubbles. You don't want any entrapped air. Also coat the threads of the tube lightly. NOW get the air out of the tube...ALL of it. You may need to tap on it a few minutes.

With the tube in one hand and the gun in the other, depress the plunger and hold it in while you slowly expel a bit of grease and thread in the tube. It will make a little mess. Don't over-tighten it! Just snug - they're plastic threads.

Now release the plunger slowly (3 seconds) and you should be good-to-go. It's now purged and primed.
Expect to repeat this 2 or 3 times per tube - depending on how long between uses. FL (and others) use to supply the tubes in a plastic more like a toothpaste tube. It seems that with everyone going 'green', we bike mechanics, who have been green all-along, should lead the way with more earth-friendly-plastic grease tubes that are easily recyclable but tend to suck air back in. Dig it.

Rob in AR
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Dear Rob,

Hi! Thanks for the advice. I've only just managed to get back out and start working on my bikes. Your advice worked great, a little messy like you said but my gun is working a treat again.

Thanks,

Matt.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Last Post: mattyts