Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Expensive bikes with crappy wheels
A point to ponder:

I've finally noticed how crappy the OEM wheels tend to be that come with a lot of rather expensive bikes.

I can see the logic if a brand offers the option to upgrade to wheels worth having or, perhaps better, a frame-only option, but in many cases, the bike is only offered built-up with wheels that arguably aren't worth having.

This makes a mockery of the pricing as you really have to expect either to swap over better wheels you already have or spend more money to get a decent wheelset.

Worse still, few 'expert' reviews highlight this quandary.

A remarkable number of new MTBs costing north of $5,000 come with wheels that are heavy, fragile or both (yeah, I'm looking at you WTB).

The situation might be slightly better with gravel and road bikes but still, they tend to come fully built up with wheels that are at best, lackluster.

Is there merit to my logic or am I just another old man shouting at clouds?
I have to agree for the most part. Anything even $1,200+ should come with titanium spokes.
indeed a common concern in the cycling community. Many riders have experienced dissatisfaction with the quality and performance of stock wheels.
they reflect a genuine issue within the cycling industry that deserves attention. As consumers, it's essential to voice these concerns. I think if enough bloggers and YT reviewers start endorsing this, it will change
(03-31-2024, 01:34 PM)Talha Wrote:  indeed a common concern in the cycling community. Many riders have experienced dissatisfaction with the quality and performance of stock wheels.
they reflect a genuine issue within the cycling industry that deserves attention. As consumers, it's essential to voice these concerns. I think if enough bloggers and YT reviewers start endorsing this, it will change

The problem is that reviewers tend to say nothing about it.