Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Vintage bikes
Hello! I need help identifying and placing a value on these bikes. I don't know much about them, and posted pictures of the stickers attached. I appreciate any help, thank you!

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-01-2023, 03:09 PM)StepStone23 Wrote:  Hello! I need help identifying and placing a value on these bikes. I don't know much about them, and posted pictures of the stickers attached. I appreciate any help, thank you!

Hello,
Welcome to the site.

I will say that the Schwinn Racer is most likely of higher value than the Hawthorne. The Hawthorne brand did not actually manufacture bikes, and they were sold by Montgomery Ward amd that was the name used; although designs were contracted by "MW" for their market and they had some earlier bikes that are more collectible and thus more valuable.
My guess is that the Hawthorne is a 60s-70s bike and might be valued around $50 depending on the market and its condition (both aesthetic and mechanical).

The Schwinn Racer should have fenders which because of design changes would help date the bike. They were made from the 50s-70s. The rear 3 speed hub is made by Sturmey-Archer which in most cases had a date code stamped on it when the hub was manufactured. Clean (rag, or very fine steel or bronze wool if rusty) off the hub barrel and look for numbers stamped below the logo; it starts with the month and last 2 digits of the year (e.g. 11 66 = Nov. 1966). This is not a direct indicator as to the actual year of the bike since it was common to find a hub date which is earlier (usually by only 1 year) than the bike's date. This only applies if the hub is original (this would also apply to the Hawthorne if equipped with "S-A" hub). I believe that you can reference the serial number to determine its year, but you will need to go to a Schwinn serial data base site to look it up. I do not know specifically where the number was stamped on that bike and Schwinn had their number in different locations.
My recommendation is that you either search or post your bikes on The CABE (Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange) site. They have an excellent community with great knowledge regarding your bikes and will probably give you a better idea of age and value. You will definitely be asked for more photos and serial numbers for them to help with your query. Except for highly collectible bikes, condition is very important. So aside from their looks, if they do not function near perfect their value will not be that great. Servicing for use might be more costly than their value if they have any major issues. Missing original parts (e.g. fenders, etc.), or use of replacement parts (e.g. saddles, etc.) also reduces value.
They are still cool bikes to ride and with some refurbishment (servicing, cleaning) TLC could be made into great riders, but restoration (paint, chrome, original parts) would be far more expensive than their value unless you are doing it for sentimental reasons or maybe to hand down to another family member or friend as a gift.

PS. You have a fine looking family!
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post