Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Middle Aged Retro-Grouch Learning A Few New Tricks
I am a longtime bike enthusiast with a couple of modest tours under my belt. (Alas, also under my belt: an extra 25 pounds of carbs.)

I play a bike mechanic on TV, volunteering at a community bike shop. I know just enough about all that to get myself into the next league of trouble.

For the last 20 years I had been puttering around on janky old road bikes with cruiser bars. The price was right, but they were never quite up to my weight & mileage requirements.

I did the Cycle Oregon Classic last September on a 90s MTB. I had a total blast and reacquired an appetite for metric century rides - with unfamiliar scenery.

I wasn't sure I'd ever do drop bars again, but then this guy came along:

I'm not a serious gravel rider by any stretch of the imagination. But I'm not a road or mountain fanatic either - this seems to split the difference just about perfectly. It goes faster & farther and so do I when I'm on it.

I'll spend this summer getting it and me ready for this year's Cycle Oregon Classic. That ride has become the highlight of my year. Sadly, this will be their last one. But there's plenty of other rides on my wish list. So I'm looking forward to may more years of riding, wrenching & learning from this community.
Welcome to the site. Sounds like you're all set up. Why is the Oregon Classic being stopped?
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Thanks for the welcome!
Cycle Oregon will continue, but I guess the week-long Classic was getting to be a bit too much for them to pull off. (The whole thing where they have to relocate a 1200 person camp with a food tent, portapotties, showers & stage every night for a whole week.)
Sounds like they'll be focusing on shorter events.
Welcome to BikeRide and thank you for the very nice introduction!

What's your gravel bike? I can't recognize it from just the image. I'm also looking forward to getting one in 2023/2024 but it's not an easy decision when you have a road bike with sentimental value and a sweet 29er MTB. Have to get rid of at least one of them.
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
greetings from Vermont!