Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Ebikes for big guys
What’s the best ebike for big dudes? Lol
I’m 6’4” and 365.
I suggest, look for electric bikes with motorcycle wheels. They should be stronger than bicycle wheels.

There are some electric bike manufacturers that put out models with motorcycle wheels. There are also bikes out there which are basically electric motorcycles. They may be expensive. Many are too powerful to be street legal. But you may get a bike with a controller limited to make it street legal. I have not owned one myself, but that is where I suggest looking.
Some of the models are explicitly modeled as "heavy duty".

That's what you should look for. They're designed to hold almost 500lbs.

An example,

https://hjmbike.com/products/hjm-transer-cargo-electric-bike?
In addition, for anyone buying an electric bike, try to find out if spare parts are readily available, at a reasonable price. You can't get spare parts for some electric bikes. With others, parts are expensive.

It is probably a good idea to read up on what others buying those models have said about them.
(05-17-2023, 03:29 PM)ichitan Wrote:  I suggest, looking for a Fat Tire Electric Bike with motorcycle wheels. They should be stronger than bicycle wheels.

There are some electric bike manufacturers that put out models with motorcycle wheels. There are also bikes out there which are basically electric motorcycles. They may be expensive. Many are too powerful to be street legal. But you may get a bike with a controller limited to make it street legal. I have not owned one myself, but that is where I suggest looking.
Hello, Fatbike tires vs. normal tires for a commuter bike. Do fatbike tires really offer more capability than normal bike tires in an urban context? In my case, I live in a snowy/cold city and my commute to work is about 23 km mostly on roads, bike paths, with the option to go thru some parks.
(11-29-2023, 07:48 PM)claudiajohnston Wrote:  Fatbike tires vs. normal tires for a commuter bike. Do fatbike tires really offer more capability than normal bike tires in an urban context? In my case, I live in a snowy/cold city and my commute to work is about 23 km mostly on roads, bike paths, with the option to go thru some parks.

Don't get a fat bike, and don't use fat bike tires, unless you want them for the snow.

Fat tires require more effort to pedal, which results in going slower. When using the electric motor, fat tires will drain the battery quicker.

- - - - - -

In previous posts, nobody mentioned fat tires.

The original poster said he was 365 pounds. If he rode bike with normal bicycle wheels, they would break. So I suggested looking for a bike with motorcycle wheels, as they are stronger. He could then use motorcycle tires.

Someone else suggested looking for a heavy duty bicycle.
(05-17-2023, 01:20 PM)Jerome Brownell Wrote:  What’s the best ebike for big dudes? Lol
I’m 6’4” and 365.

I've been with E-bike retailers and most e-bike models don't go over 260 lbs and rider heights around 6'2". If I were to recommend something I would definitely consider mountain e-bikes or gravel e-bikes. These are built to take a heavy beating and are more likely to support heavier riders.

Take something with more torque over speed and large towing capacity. Maybe something like Himiway Cobra

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post