Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Bicycle and related stock situation in the US
Hello,

Last year when I was looking to get my big-box store and name-brand bike repaired, I wasn't able to find any parts. Same issue when I tried to buy a new bike. I was told no stocks.

Since June of 2022, I have been cycling/travelling through South America and am just blown-away by how well they are stocked not just "Made in China" parts/bikes but also name brands like Trek, Giant, Specialized S-works. I keep wondering why.

I found parts, inner-tubes and tires for my 4-inch fat bike in a remote Colombian village, Jardin. I had trouble finding any in Boston..

I'm attaching pictures of what probably might be a scene out of heaven for (US-based) cyclists.:-)

Attached Files Image(s)

I have not witnessed any problems getting the stuff I have needed, but i am not out shopping for new way overpriced bikes of today! One of the perks of being old..ha
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
What is happening in the US is not the same as many other parts of the world. You need to consider the situation in each country separately.

There is a high proportion of people from the US, on this forum. So the US perspective is discussed a lot.

That is true for the situation at the current time, as well as generally. For example, with a significant proportion of times in Europe, there is an emphasis making the bike comfortable, while in the US, the emphasis is more on sporty bikes.
I remember seeing a very detailed post about the stock shortage, and how dealers were losing money after the covid era. Something that had to do with bookings made before the pandemic. I'll try to find that post. But as far as I know most of the situation had cleared.

It's worth mentioning most facing shortage for newer bikes or new bike parts has a lot to do with China and Taiwan conflict. Most bikes are made here other than Europe. From past events, the last global shortage was because of Covid and partly because of China dependency. So, I think maybe it has something to do with trade and tariffs. (just a decent guess based on past event). BTW no problems in the UK
(02-10-2023, 12:32 PM)GirishH Wrote:  Hello,

Last year when I was looking to get my big-box store and name-brand bike repaired, I wasn't able to find any parts. Same issue when I tried to buy a new bike. I was told no stocks.

Since June of 2022, I have been cycling/travelling through South America and am just blown-away by how well they are stocked not just "Made in China" parts/bikes but also name brands like Trek, Giant, Specialized S-works. I keep wondering why.

I found parts, inner-tubes and tires for my 4-inch fat bike in a remote Colombian village, Jardin. I had trouble finding any in Boston..

I'm attaching pictures of what probably might be a scene out of heaven for (US-based) cyclists.:-)

I've noticed a lot more on-line retailers popping up. New bikes, refurbished bikes, NOS equipment too. I don't think inventory is a problem.

(02-10-2023, 05:02 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  I have not witnessed any problems getting the stuff I have needed, but i am not out shopping for new way overpriced bikes of today! One of the perks of being old..ha

I've had good luck the last two used bike purchases. One ebay and one online retailer. I been had a good ebay sale last year.
This shortage wasn't for high-end bike related stuff but was for regular stuff like gears/gear cassettes to daily use bicycles. May be online is the place to go if one's shopping for bikes in the US. But how about replacement parts? I will be back in the Boston area soon and will update the post.

(02-10-2023, 05:02 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  I have not witnessed any problems getting the stuff I have needed, but i am not out shopping for new way overpriced bikes of today! One of the perks of being old..ha

Hello Painkiller, the shortage I encountered was for regular stuff like gears/gear cassettes to daily use bicycles..:-( Then when I started looking for a "quality" fatbike, all the bicycles shops I went to said they hadn't seen any Surly or Salsa's in the previous couple of years. I will be back in the Boston area soon and will update the post.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post