Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Purchasing a mountain bike
I am a new rider (64) and looking to buy a new or used mountain bike and may have electric assist power. I am 6'3" so I need a larger bike. Any suggestions for brand names?
Do you prefer electric, or are you happy with pedal only? There is likely to be a big difference in price.

If you get an electric bike, you need something where spare parts are readily available. With some electric bikes, it is difficult to get parts when they break down. In some cases, parts are expensive.

When I get an electric bike, I will probably get a conversion kit, and put on a regular mountain bike. If something breaks, you should be able to buy more conversion kit parts.

With an electric bike, also consider the height of the handlebars. The cables may not be long enough to raise the handlebars easily. This should be considered by tall riders.

It is probably a good idea to make your first bike not electric. If you want to get one later, it is up to you. A tall rider should probably go for 29 inch wheels. Light weight is good, so you might want an aluminum frame. A steel frame is likely to be less expensive and heavier. You might prefer both front and rear suspension. A bike with front suspension only, is likely to be less expensive.

You could visit bike shops, test ride bikes, and get ideas.

If you come across something second hand, that seems to be good value, check it out.

There are some real nice electric bikes being made in Europe, but they are thousands of dollars. They have bikes with a mid drive motor, combined with a gearbox.
If you come across an old style, large frame, 26 inch mountain bike, they should be good too. They are rare, so you may not come across one. But if you do, check it out.
Hello Jim, if you are still looking for a mountain bike do check-out Framed Minnesota aluminum fat-bike. Depending on the usage you had in mind, you may find fat-bikes lot more comfortable, like ATVs compared to a mountain bike. And, Fat bikes are full suspension..:-)

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/mistergordo/

I have been riding my Minnesota for the past 6-months, starting in Medellin, Colombia and currently am in Ecuador. Because its an aluminum frame, its light weight but has gone through very mountainous, dirt, sandy, rocky roads but given me more reasons never to go back for other types of bikes..:-)

I am 6-feet tall, so have a 22inch. So, am guessing you could use the same or a 24inch. Good luck.
I suggest researching different mountain bike brands that offer larger frame sizes and models with electric assist power.

My personal recommendation https://www.safecastle.com/products/ez-breeze-elite-750w-electric-bike-for-adults
Are you actually taking it off road or are you only using it on pavement?

If you're only doing pavement, then you would want to swap out the tires for some urban ones.

Such as Pirelli Angel GT.

Possibly Related Threads...