Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Rope spokes may be widely used in the future
Rope spokes are new, and still to be widely tested. But since they are lighter than steel spokes, they may become common in the future.

It seems, they were first made as a fun experiment, not intended to be widely used. But since they are lighter, it turned out to be a good idea.

A company making them is Berd. If you search for videos on Berd spokes, there are many of them. Here is one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKYIQACqgqw

Other companies are likely take up this idea, and start making rope spokes.

I have not had rope spokes myself. I just find the idea interesting, and think they are likely to be widely used in the future.
Maybe they will be lower cost in the future, but I cannot justify spending $300 per wheel (36 x $8) on just the spokes for a wheel build on a non-competition bike. If I was a professional being sponsored, and/or getting the performance advantage from them during competition than I would do it.
If it makes gravel bikes and mtb's safer then it is also a good thing, but still probably competition level stuff
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(09-02-2022, 12:14 AM)Jesper Wrote:  Maybe they will be lower cost in the future, but I cannot justify spending $300 per wheel (36 x $8) on just the spokes for a wheel build on a non-competition bike. If I was a professional being sponsored, and/or getting the performance advantage from them during competition than I would do it.
If it makes gravel bikes and mtb's safer then it is also a good thing, but still probably competition level stuff

Here is a video of someone making their own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hXOYfnhStI

I just did a quick search, and here is 25 ft of rope for $14.95. So making your own would not be too expensive. Obviously most people would not want to put in the time and effort to do something like that. There may be a few who want to.

I am not planning to convert to rope spokes. I am also not in competition, and weight is not as important.

When other manufacturers make them, they may or may not become less expensive.

It may also give you ideas about creative ways to replace broken spokes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-18-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Frankly