Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Help with beginner commuter
I'm new to bikes and looking to commute 14mi daily on relatively flat terrain. I'm looking at two used options, first is a like-new 2022 Giant Escape 3 Disc with microshift shifters instead of Shimano for $450. Second is a lightly used 2018 Cannondale Quick 4 for $400.

Additionally, I thought about buying a Priority Ace of Clubs for $570 and building it at home for the easy to maintain belt drive, though something tells me it's not a good idea... I'm lost so any insight at all would be very much appreciated, thanks!
(08-18-2022, 07:22 PM)Freddyfazbear Wrote:  I'm new to bikes and looking to commute 14mi daily on relatively flat terrain. I'm looking at two used options, first is a like-new 2022 Giant Escape 3 Disc with microshift shifters instead of Shimano for $450. Second is a lightly used 2018 Cannondale Quick 4 for $400.

Additionally, I thought about buying a Priority Ace of Clubs for $570 and building it at home for the easy to maintain belt drive, though something tells me it's not a good idea... I'm lost so any insight at all would be very much appreciated, thanks!

Welcome to the community Freddy!

I have no experience with any of the specific bikes you mentioned, and I ride much older designs so I would be making assumptions as to ride quality and workmanship. I do have decades experience riding and commuting. If your ride (14 miles one-way or roundtrip?) is on flat terrain and you are not expecting to travel on anything other than paved roads/trails than that helps reduce the type and "amount" of bike you need. If the terrain is truly flat with only some occassional gradual inclines than an internally geared hub (IGH) drivetrain maybe all you need with a 3 speed or greater gear selection. No need for heavier and more expensive disc brakes systems (more maintenance also), 100 speed gearing, or frame/fork suspension systems. You can always use a suspension seat post, cushier saddle, and/or use of wider tires/lower pressure tires to smooth out the ride if you need it. You need to consider what you expect to be carrying and have a bike already set-up for, or capable of being accessorized to fit your needs and riding conditions (fenders, baskets/bags/panniers, racks, lights, etc.).
Your preferred riding position and style will also determine the frame style, cockpit design, and of course the saddle.
You need to do test rides (on bikes properly adjusted for you; new or used) to get a feel for comfort/fit and gearing. You should attempt to test ride for at least the same distance/duration as you would normally expect to ride. That is hard to do with a private used bike sale unless the owner allows for it; bike shops usually will let you adequately test their bikes, and even various saddles.
Understand what type of pedal you want. There are many dual use pedals out there that allow for the use of street shoes and clip-in bike shoes. Walking in most standard bike shoes is awkward and can be dangerous on slick flooring; but they greatly increase cycling efficiency. If I am commuting, shopping, sightseeing, etc.; I carry a pair of very lightweight canvas shoes to change into or I swap pedals (or bike) for the expected use on that ride.

Also, although you are getting a bike for commuting; you may want to use it for other activities, and you should consider features you may want above and beyond your commuting needs (gravel, mountain, touring, racing, etc.). My first road bikes were multi-use; now I have, after over 40 years of serious cycling, a separate bike for specific my specific uses.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...