Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

New Stator For My Ride1up Core 5
Smile 
Hi Folks,

Posted this on another forum as well. Hope to get the assistance here. Smile

I'm not a very handy ebike enthusiast. Don‘t really know the inner workings of an ebike, I just like riding them.

Anyway, was riding my Core-5 that has around 1200 miles on it, and suddenly it made this strange grinding sound every time I engaged the throttle or PAS. Visited Ride1up’s support page and read the instructions on motor noises. Also sent the required videos to support.

Support came back a day later saying my Bike was out of warranty ( March 2021 purchase date) and I needed a new Stator for $300. They also linked a video on how to remove the Stator which showed instructions on how to remove the motor from the bike.

l‘m still not sure what a Stator is. Is it the whole motor? Support said it is one whole unit so I think they will send me a new motor. Also, is it easy to install? Since I’m out of warranty, is there better, cheaper, and easier aftermarket replacement I can buy or should I just bite the bullet and spend the 300 bucks? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cardiobiker
It appears that it's an ignition electromagnetic plate.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/380-386/cycle-electric-stator

Can't say if this will work for your model. I have no understanding of ebikes.
Thanks Reap for your reply.
(07-30-2022, 01:51 PM)cardiobiker Wrote:  Anyway, was riding my Core-5 that has around 1200 miles on it, and suddenly it made this strange grinding sound every time I engaged the throttle or PAS. Visited Ride1up’s support page and read the instructions on motor noises. Also sent the required videos to support.

Support came back a day later saying my Bike was out of warranty ( March 2021 purchase date) and I needed a new Stator for $300. They also linked a video on how to remove the Stator which showed instructions on how to remove the motor from the bike.

If it has failed at 1200 miles, I would question the quality. Maybe you just happen to be unlucky, or maybe it is poor quality.

If it was me, I might replace the stator or motor once. If it fails again in another 1200 miles, I would look for an alternative.

If you haven't used them, it is difficult to know which of the alternatives are decent quality.

You can buy conversion kits. You may be able to buy just the parts you need, Then you need to look into which parts are compatible.
(07-30-2022, 01:51 PM)cardiobiker Wrote:  Hi Folks,

Posted this on another forum as well. Hope to get the assistance here. Smile

I'm not a very handy ebike enthusiast. Don‘t really know the inner workings of an ebike, I just like riding them.

Anyway, was riding my Core-5 that has around 1200 miles on it, and suddenly it made this strange grinding sound every time I engaged the throttle or PAS. Visited Ride1up’s support page and read the instructions on motor noises. Also sent the required videos to support.

l‘m still not sure what a Stator is. Is it the whole motor? Support said it is one whole unit so I think they will send me a new motor. Also, is it easy to install? Since I’m out of warranty, is there better, cheaper, and easier aftermarket replacement I can buy or should I just bite the bullet and spend the 300 bucks? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cardiobiker

The stator is the stationary part of the motor with windings that create a magnetic field when energized and cause the motor's rotor to turn. I cannot understand why a stator would go bad and cause a grinding noise. The stator does not move or come into contact with moving parts. A bad stator is burnt out coil wiring which keeps the magnetic field from being created. Unless wire melted and is causing contact with the rotor I cannot understand what is causing the grinding if the company themselves are saying its a stator problem. The motor won't work if the stator is burnt out.
If you are handy enough and have the tools you may be able to disassemble the motor and determine the problem visually. I suspect a bearing has been damaged, but I don't know how those motors are configured with power assist or whatever they have. $300 seems like a lot more than the cost of the stator alone; I would suspect that you would be getting the whole motor assembly for that price, but again I have no idea as to how these items are priced on bikes especially if it is a proprietary design.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS