Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Garmin Edge solar powered
Ciao.
What do you think about this Garmin wonder? The solar panel is built into the display. It's very pricey but might be worth the investment.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/731136

p.s.
I got some money to spend on bike
(07-19-2022, 04:12 PM)ManBearPig Wrote:  Ciao.
What do you think about this Garmin wonder? The solar panel is built into the display. It's very pricey but might be worth the investment.

p.s.

Seems odd that more devices are not hybrid solar/battery powered. My cateye cyclometer from the late 80s was solar powered (it is also about 4x's the size of newer units).
Although I generally do not carry a phone or other device while cycling (except commuting), I would expect that my phone could provide the same information depending on what application or website you use at a much lower cost. Garmin ought to just develop their own cell phone with their positioning software already installed.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Cell phone gps application do not collect the amount of information that a $70 Bryton Rider 15 neo unit collects, and will upload to various websites that keep track of your rides.

Any reliable usb 10000mah power bank will provide all the electric needs for 36 hour ultra cycling electric needs, including gps units and cell phone charging needs while on your bicycle...

Solar power for GPS units should be a simple inexpensive upgrade by all manufacturers, but in the meantime a power bank can keep your Gopro, Insta360, Cell phone and Gps units properly charged...

Have you ever monitored the power used by your phone running a GPS application?
(07-19-2022, 04:12 PM)ManBearPig Wrote:  Ciao.

p.s.

Loving stuff that Garmin produces lately, I'm a huge fan of stuff that you barely have to charge like their watch line. I think this is a really good step on their cyclo comps
Occasionally I do use my Garmin Instinct when I have to track runs or bike rides. These trackings aren't to be posted on Strava but primarily keep folks where I am especially when I am biking/travelling alone. My friend has the same Garmin Instinct but the Solar version. For a fact, I know he was having issues and glitches where it would track intermittently or inaccurately. So I am a bit unsure how useful solar is if it's this unreliable..:-(

My non-solar Garmin has been pretty reliable..