Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

freewheel sprocket noise?
does this noise mean anything?

The bike was not used and left outside for a long time. The freewheel sprocket spun free in both directions. After removing it and dripping oil thru it in both directions it appeared to work fine. Once reinstalled it still works fine, but does make this noise when I stop peddling. With bike upside down and rear wheel spinning freely i can also fell the noise as a vibration in the frame.

Im considering rebuilding and selling this bike. Ive done this for many bikes, but this is my 1st with this issue. Everything else on bike is fine. Except that all the cables need to be replaced, which Ive done before.

When i had the rear sprocket off i cleaned and repacked the rear wheel bearings(something I have done before).

Might there be an issue with the freewheel sprocket down the road after Ive sold the bike?

Hyper Havoc 21 speed.

noise: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/B3ge8bCQrfE
Yes while peddling you can hear a higher pitch front sprocket chain noise that I will take care of when I adjust the shifting, Im not asking about this.

tks,
paul
(05-26-2022, 05:54 PM)paulmars Wrote:  does this noise mean anything?

The bike was not used and left outside for a long time. The freewheel sprocket spun free in both directions. After removing it and dripping oil thru it in both directions it appeared to work fine. Once reinstalled it still works fine, but does make this noise when I stop peddling. With bike upside down and rear wheel spinning freely i can also fell the noise as a vibration in the frame.

Im considering rebuilding and selling this bike. Ive done this for many bikes, but this is my 1st with this issue. Everything else on bike is fine. Except that all the cables need to be replaced, which Ive done before.

When i had the rear sprocket off i cleaned and repacked the rear wheel bearings(something I have done before).

Might there be an issue with the freewheel sprocket down the road after Ive sold the bike?

Hyper Havoc 21 speed.

noise: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/B3ge8bCQrfE
Yes while peddling you can hear a higher pitch front sprocket chain noise that I will take care of when I adjust the shifting, Im not asking about this.

tks,
paul

I believe your freewheel bearing(s) are damaged and you would have to replace the freewheel if you want to remove that grinding feel and noise. It will not matter when you are pedalling only when coasting; shifting should still be okay. You can continue to use that part if it doesn't bother you too much. You may be able to disassemble the unit, clean it, and regrease it with some improvement, but I would assume that you'll still have some rough operation until replacement.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Not sure if that's the freewheel.

It might be the hub. It would need overhauled (with new grease) and checked for damage from riding it dry. You can do this yourself with a freewheel removing tool, 10" crescent wrench, and a 15mm cone wrench, and some fresh grease. I use Lucas Xtra Heavy Duty. Undo the hub from the non-drive side and then just remove it from the drive side. Don't undo the drive side. That way, you can just insert it vice-versa and just thread the cone down on the non-drive side until snug. You don't have to worry about dishing—or messing up the dishing.

The newer Hyper Havocs come with cassettes and a thread on freehub body that looks like it was made for Uniglide. Can't say if that's the one you have, but if you do, then soak the freehub body in synthetic oil before threading it on. You can do the same thing for a normal threaded freewheel, but typically, Triflow or 3-in-1 oil will do the job.
I guess you should clarify if you have a freewheel or freehub. I assumed the former from your statement; but if it's a freehub then that's a different matter.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Whatever that noise is the chain is toast and needs to be replaced.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-10-2020, 10:03 AM
Last Post: CharleyFarley

09-16-2015, 12:42 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

04-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Last Post: dancer