Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Help with finding a small frame ebike
Hello,
My husband recently took up riding an ebike to work. He is loving it!! I'd like to join him. The distance for me to get to work is enough that doing the ride twice daily on my regular bike would fatigue me. I am moderately fit, but would like the ebike for the hills (there are a few), and the distance -I'm in my early 50's but I just do not have the stamina I once did.

For reference I am 5'3" and of a regular weight. My inseam is 30 inches.

These are the features I am looking for:
1) small frame size - current non-ebike it a Neko Trek with a 14 in size frame -- and all these bikes saying they are good for people from 5' tall to 6'tall - I don't really believe that 1 bike frame can properly fit that range of people. I am super hung up on this issue. Am I wrong?

2) ability to do some pedalling myself - I don't want the bike to do all the work.

3) I'm not a speed demon - but my husband may be - and so on any rides we do together (not the daily commute) - I would want to keep up with him. He has a Ride1up Core5 bike - and the max speed is 28 mph. His bike is too big for my BTW. Too far to reach the handle bars, and when standing over it I am too short. I "can" ride his bike. But I don't think it would be good for me in the long term for comfort.

4) I would like a step through design, separate throttle, multiple gears.

5) I don't want tons of shipping issues and the drama of waiting 6 weeks for a bike and poor customer service about delivery dates. I'm in Canada.

6) My ideal budget would be under $3000 Canadian.

I have done a little online research - and it seems to me these bikes might suite me? Just a little nervous to make the purchase:

RadCity 5 step through
Aventon Level

And that 's it. Any others to recommend?
(05-15-2022, 07:48 PM)Mel878555 Wrote:  Hello,
My husband recently took up riding an ebike to work. He is loving it!! I'd like to join him. The distance for me to get to work is enough that doing the ride twice daily on my regular bike would fatigue me. I am moderately fit, but would like the ebike for the hills (there are a few), and the distance -I'm in my early 50's but I just do not have the stamina I once did.

For reference I am 5'3" and of a regular weight. My inseam is 30 inches.

These are the features I am looking for:
1) small frame size - current non-ebike it a Neko Trek with a 14 in size frame -- and all these bikes saying they are good for people from 5' tall to 6'tall - I don't really believe that 1 bike frame can properly fit that range of people. I am super hung up on this issue. Am I wrong?

2) ability to do some pedalling myself - I don't want the bike to do all the work.

3) I'm not a speed demon - but my husband may be - and so on any rides we do together (not the daily commute) - I would want to keep up with him. He has a Ride1up Core5 bike - and the max speed is 28 mph. His bike is too big for my BTW. Too far to reach the handle bars, and when standing over it I am too short. I "can" ride his bike. But I don't think it would be good for me in the long term for comfort.

4) I would like a step through design, separate throttle, multiple gears.

5) I don't want tons of shipping issues and the drama of waiting 6 weeks for a bike and poor customer service about delivery dates. I'm in Canada.

6) My ideal budget would be under $3000 Canadian.

I have done a little online research - and it seems to me these bikes might suite me? Just a little nervous to make the purchase:

RadCity 5 step through
Aventon Level

And that 's it. Any others to recommend?

I think you have the right idea about the bike you need. I think your reasons for step thru are valid also . I think you can find quite a few ebike in that category for about half of your price Canadian . I believe you can get a rear rear hub drive and perhaps a mid drive with 20” wheels for that . If I am understanding you correctly that is . You can also maybe get ones with smaller motors with conventional wheels like 700c , 27.5,or 29 “ wheels . If you have hills I think you’d want at least a 500 watt motor . However your height may cause issues with later because many manufacturers are only offering med large frames with those sizes .

Possibly Related Threads...