Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Help with creaking sound when pedalling (Shimano EB110 coaster brake).
My rear hub started a weird noise so I took apart my coaster brake. I found that the one ball bearing cage was shattered. I tried following the advice at Sheldon Brown to just use more ball bearings but it did not work well (Doesn't roll smoothly). So I bought replacement caged bearings, and fixed the noise when coasting. But now there's still this creaking sound when I pedal, even when applying the slightest force. When I rotate the hub by hand, I can feel some kind of rubbing, which might be the source of the noise. Is there a fix for this? Looking at each part closely, I can't see anything wrong. I thought of replacing the entire brake but I cannot find a similar one sold locally (Bangkok) or online. I am hesitant to use unknown brands.
It could be that the outer shelling for the hub covers have become bent.

That rubbing is the out-of-dimension metal hub covers rubbing on the hub.

That's just off the top of my head. Take a close look for that and let me know.

Another possibility with this is that you put it together too loose.
(01-27-2022, 11:11 PM)Soiclyst Wrote:  My rear hub started a weird noise so I took apart my coaster brake. I found that the one ball bearing cage was shattered. I tried following the advice at Sheldon Brown to just use more ball bearings but it did not work well (Doesn't roll smoothly). So I bought replacement caged bearings, and fixed the noise when coasting. But now there's still this creaking sound when I pedal, even when applying the slightest force. When I rotate the hub by hand, I can feel some kind of rubbing, which might be the source of the noise. Is there a fix for this? Looking at each part closely, I can't see anything wrong. I thought of replacing the entire brake but I cannot find a similar one sold locally (Bangkok) or online. I am hesitant to use unknown brands.

Did you solve this problem?
Since the cage was "shattered", did you inspect the bearing race surfaces? Chances are that they got scored or damaged from the cage damage due to small bits of sharp metal grinding on them; especially if you rode if for any long period of time with the damaged bearing cage. Also, the cage may have gotten damaged by the races already having been worn or damaged which increases the load on the ball bearings and over stresses the cage. You may have to replace the cone, cup, and/or spindle (I don't know your set-up; photo would help). Make sure there is no other worn surfaces (pitting/scarring/scoring). If you remove the wheel and spin it holding the the axle ends; and it feels at all rough, then there is probably a bearing surface(s) that is damaged to some degree; or the bearing set-up is too tight. There should be a little end play at the axle due to the fact that when the wheel is installed and tightened it will slightly reduce the play the bearings (at least on a cone & cup design) whether secured by nuts or quick release mechanism. It should never feel rough if already installed. Try loosening the bearing cone and see it that helps.

Let the forum know if you managed to solve the problem, what steps that were taken, and their results.

By the way using the "Sheldon Brown extra ball method" only works if everything else is in good condition and the bearing is properly adjusted; otherwise you will still have ongoing issues.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...