Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

LYGIE AND ATALA WINTER PROJECTS
I just received a 1958 Atala after about 3 months of it kicking around the World's oceans. I have had the 1969 Lygie/Ligie frameset for a couple years and have finally gotten the parts I want for rebuilding one or both of them.

Essentially going with mostly 50's components on the Atala. Already have OE headset, BB (questionable condition), and crankset. Adding Simplex suicide front derailleur and Campy Gran Sport rear derailleur and single side DT clamp-on shifter. Campy steel hubs are on the way. Universal Extra Mod. 51 brakeset. Campy post with a Brooks or Ideale saddle. Belleri stem and bar.

Lygie gets whatever is in the parts bin from 60s-70s era.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Wow! Those are some interesting frames. Are you planning on repainting?
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
(11-23-2021, 09:02 PM)Criminal Wrote:  Wow! Those are some interesting frames. Are you planning on repainting?

The Atala has been repainted once (not by myself), but deserves a better job. I am trying to determine its original colors; there is dark blue on the rear drop-outs (my only clue). The Lygie/Ligie needs a new paint job; fork looks very rough , chrome needs re-plating if I don't paint over it. It will get the same color, but decals may not be available; especially the "LIGIE" which is an alternate spelling the company used even though the headbadge and seat tube decal spells it as "LYGIE". We shall see. I have some new wooden rims (tubulars) stained in green for this bike so I would like to do it right and not cut corners if I can keep it within a reasonable budget range (<$1000).
Take care,
Jesper

Colourful and eye-catching frames. Nice catch, Jesper!
How (where) did you acquire them, if I may ask?

If anyone is interested, here is some history behind Lygie: https://utahrandonneur.wordpress.com/lygie-history-and-racing/
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
(11-24-2021, 05:06 PM)Zviedrs Wrote:  Colourful and eye-catching frames. Nice catch, Jesper!
How (where) did you acquire them, if I may ask?

If anyone is interested, here is some history behind Lygie: https://utahrandonneur.wordpress.com/lygie-history-and-racing/

Hi Zviedrs,

I think your link includes the "Lygie Barn" site; I am familiar with it. It is informative, attempts to provide historical accuracy when possible, and presents many early photos of Lygie frames/bikes/paraphernalia.

I got the Lygie frame years ago from an Italian guy when overseas; built it just to test ride it, but never did (reason why there is a modern Campy cartridge BB still installed). Now I have many more period correct parts so it is time to put it right. Whether I keep it or not may depend on how it actually rides. I believe it is straight gauge tubing (Tullio? or Columbus?) so it should certainly be stiff enough, but will it be comfortable for a 50+ ride with tubulars even with very forgiving wooden rims.
The Atala I ordered from Russia; it got sent out in mid August and just arrived 2 weeks ago. Beware ordering from Russia; not the seller's fault, but it may take awhile for your item to get to its final destination. The seller offered me a refund thinking it would not arrive and was being returned to him. A VERY NICE GUY!
The Atala has a dent in the TT (near the front, on top; I will solder fill & reshape); it does not affect the geometry as the TT is still true, but it helped with the price negotiations which ended at $150. Seller was up front about the damage and repaint/decals. The headbadge alone sells for about $40 USD; and the original Atala headset for another $50+, and the original Atala branded cottered cranks and double ring set (52/44) so a decent price overall regardless of the waiting time. The original Atala/Iris BB had good cups, but pitted spindle so not much value on that end. I have another set of wooden rims for this bike also, but natural color. Using an Italian made Simplex suicide front derailleur, and Campy Gran Sport shifter and RD. I would expect this bike to ride similar to the Lygie, but I am planning on it being nothing more than an "Eroica" machine and not using it as a regular rider. I would not buy an Atala from the early/mid 70s or later (except their top Professional frames) due to higher production volume and lower quality of workmanship during the bike boom (something that is evident in other high production marques as well). As a general note: if buying a 70's to very early 80's bicycle, it is advisable to only get limited production frames from artisan hand-built marques of that era; or again, professional level handmade frames regardless of maker (e.g. Schwinn Paramount, Raleigh Professional, etc.).
Take care,
Jesper

Some parts for the Atala:
OE crankset

Campy Gran Sport RD (Simplex FD is incorrect for year, but will go onto the Lygie as a 60s part)

Proper Simplex Competition FD for 50s frame

The seat post is still not decided since it is an odd size, but I do have the OE steel post for it. I have Campy posts (25, 26, 26.4, 26.6, 26.8, 27, 27.2, 27.4mm), but I have no 26.2mm post which is what both the Atala and Lygie require. Planning on shimming the 26mm post to fit since I have no frames (at present) to fit that size. I also don't know what year the Campy post is so it may be another concession to having a non-era part if I use it instead of the OE post. Belleri cockpit is not 50s era either.
Take care,
Jesper

(11-25-2021, 02:32 AM)Jesper Wrote:  The seat post is still not decided since it is an odd size, but I do have the OE steel post for it. I have Campy posts (25, 26, 26.4, 26.6, 26.8, 27, 27.2, 27.4mm), but now 26.2mm which is what both the Atala and Lygie require. Planning on shimming the 26mm post to fit since I have no frames (at present) to fit that size. I also don't know what year the Campy post is so it may be another concession to having a non-era part if I use it instead of the OE post. Belleri cockpit is not 50s era either.

Are they metric or imperial tubed frames? Might be why your seat post seems odd. Did you weigh the frames? I am curious on what these earlier 'lighweight' frames weigh compared to the butted frames I ride from the 70s and 80s.
I am also curious as to what tubing utilized a 27.4mm post. I have nothing over 27.2mm. What bike did it come off of? Is it for a newer oversized tubing like Columbus EL?

Thanks,
Howard
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
(11-26-2021, 12:54 AM)Criminal Wrote:  Are they metric or imperial tubed frames? Might be why your seat post seems odd. Did you weigh the frames? I am curious on what these earlier 'lighweight' frames weigh compared to the butted frames I ride from the 70s and 80s.
I am also curious as to what tubing utilized a 27.4mm post. I have nothing over 27.2mm. What bike did it come off of? Is it for a newer oversized tubing like Columbus EL?

Thanks,
Howard

I have not measured tube O.D.s, but I believe they are 'imperial' size and not metric being that they are both of Italian origin and having Italian BB shells (70mm, 36mm x 24 t.p.i.).
As far as the 27.4mm post is concerned; I picked it up as a loose part so no frame reference, but given its details it would be from circa 1969-1972 or so; definitely not 80s or later. I think EL was introduced in the late 80s or early 90s. I have an early 90's Basso 'Astra' with oversized "EL" tubing, but it uses a 27.2mm post anyways. Thus, it would not be designed for oversized tubing unless there was something available at an earlier time that I am not familiar with (good possibility of that!). I thought it may have been made for Columbus "Record" tubing like that used on Colnago 'Mexico' frames; but not sure when that tubing gauge was introduced. The 'Mexico' frames themselves weren't made until sometime in late '74-early '75 so the post would predate that model; and those frames accepted a 27.2mm post. My thought was that they may have been for seat lugs/tubes that were over reamed be it intentionally or by accident. Who knows? Right now it is just an oddity waiting to be married to an odd frame. Still a rare Campy post size to be found; never thought about possible value. Maybe worth a bit to that one person who has that one odd frame out there; but I doubt it will allow to me an early retirement.
Take care,
Jesper

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-31-2010, 05:40 PM
Last Post: KC-Steve