Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Please help me identify this LeMond

I inherited this Maillot Jaune LeMond and am looking for more information on it because I cannot seem to find another one that looks like it anywhere. I’m new to vintage bikes and don’t really know much about it besides the basics. If anyone could please help me by telling me the year of this bike and/or it’s rough value, I would very much so appreciate it. Thank you for any help you provide. -Jake
(11-02-2021, 02:48 PM)jacob carney Wrote:  I inherited this Maillot Jaune LeMond and am looking for more information on it because I cannot seem to find another one that looks like it anywhere. I’m new to vintage bikes and don’t really know much about it besides the basics. If anyone could please help me by telling me the year of this bike and/or it’s rough value, I would very much so appreciate it. Thank you for any help you provide. -Jake

You will need to show more detailed photos of the frame, decals (dates on the seat tube decal will tell you its earliest year), and components. It would appear to be an 80s model. I think Lemond started designing his line in 86-87 so it cannot be earlier than that. I can see a Columbus tubing decal, but I don't know the tubing type (maybe SL/SLX/SP/SPX); I would assume one of the higher end tubesets. It should have decent value if in good condition with high ends parts (Shimano Dura-Ace, Campagnolo Record series). I would give it a value of around $400-$500 on the lower end, but possibly up around $800 or so. It might depend on how many were made for that particular year. That model was made for many years using various frame materials (steel, aluminum, carbon). It should be a very good bike; Italian built (probably Billato).
You maybe able to contact Lemond bikes and use the serial number to date it. I doubt it is later than the early 90s.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Will take some digging into old catalogs to determine model year and correct components. From what I can see in the picture, the original stem and bar are not there. It is missing both derailleurs. Wheels look right with Shimano hubs and Mavic rims, but don't know for sure. Missing original components will ding a vintage bike value.
One more thing. Condition, condition, condition. Either a buyer is adding to display and condition is essential part of valuation, or buyer is to use as a rider, whereupon condition is not as essential, but still calculated into sell price.
Agree with Jeff. My evaluation definitely depends on it being complete (all parts installed, preferably period correct; and functioning properly). It is definitely not a "show bike" unless restored. I would check the seat post height; it may be extended past the minimum insertion mark (if no mark at least 5cm or more should be inserted; heavier rider more like 6cm to 7cm).
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-22-2022, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Jesper