Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Bike evaluation
Hey everyone,

Can you please help me evaluate this bike?

Best regards

Attached Files Image(s)

(10-13-2021, 07:41 PM)Hewu Wrote:  Hey everyone,

Best regards

I am not really familiar with the brand itself although I have heard of the name. A mass produced Japanese make from the late 70s-early/mid 80s. Very nice Shimano 600 EX "Arabesque" groupset though; Shimano's 2nd tier group at the time. I would keep the components regardless of the frame, but considering that those are probably original to the bike it would seem that it would be a decent mid to higher end "Sport/Recreational" bike, maybe even an entry level race bike; but I doubt it given the tubing. You would know by the frame weight. Cro-moly tubing is not "gas-pipe" grade so better than pure department store stuff for the era, but the decal would probably indicate if it was butted tubing (higher grade lightweight tubes with thinner mid-section for weight reduction). I would have to research the actual brand to see who the real builder was since most of those types of bikes were only made by a few manufacturers; but sold under a multitude of brand names. Value in great running condition about $150-$200; the Shimano parts would sell for about $100-$150 (depending on condition) themselves if stripped from the bike; frame alone $50-$75. Overall, a nice little ride that I'm sure would be a decent commuter or general purpose touring bike. Not bad having fenders already on it, but also a sign that it wasn't intended as a race bike.
I wouldn't doubt if they made a higher end model with the next level of components on it and using butted tubing.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(10-13-2021, 07:41 PM)Hewu Wrote:  Hey everyone,

Best regards

From Classic Rendezvous:
"The SILK bicycle company had become quite famous after having produced all of the bikes for the Japanese Olympic racing teams in 1964."

"The name "SILK" was derived from the former silk manufacturing factory building which the bicycle manufacturing company later occupied. Their racing style bikes were highly regarded by Keirin racers and were produced right along with the custom French touring style bikes."

"But, SILK was not a pure "boutique" builder, it was truly a mass production bicycle company. Someone compared their broad range of bikes to Raleigh (England) which manufactured everything from Professional racing bikes to children's bikes. SILK even produced a popular line of folding bicycles and later the company would manufacture Mountain bikes as well. By the early 2000s many of the new bikes offered were tig welded and featured the newer style threadless forks. However, the company still produced lines of more classic looking Track and Touring bikes as well."
Bob Hansen

So that is a general synopsis of the company. I would stick by my value given the fact that they essentially mass produced bikes for the general market. Yours would not be one of the high-end competition frames, but again it isn't what I would consider a "throw-away" bike by any means; and it is easily worth fixing up with a proper service and/or overhaul. It's probably a good idea to replace the shifter and brake cables, as well installing some modern brake pads; all very inexpensive and easy to accomplish yourself. You could upgrade the components, but I always thought the "Arabesque" stuff looked cool, and functioned more than satisfactorily.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS