Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Fixing up old bike
Hello, new here. Recently, I bought an old second hand bike and decided to fix it up. I wanted a cheap frame that I could work on and tweak from the ground up. Have learned a lot about bike repairs (lots of mistakes) and learned that there’s still a long way to go. Including pics and would like some ideas on how to work on fixing this up from here (please go easy on this newbie, haha). That being said, keep in mind, I only ride to commute around a college town, so I’m not a serious rider so much as I just got interested in the mechanics. Have also learned I’m a sucker for old steel frames. In the pictures, the red was before and green is now. I am planning to replace the tires and I know a few spokes are messed up, but I’ve been having trouble with removing the freewheel so I’m not sure how to/if I can fix them.
https://imgur.com/okotigR

https://imgur.com/GbgjwBb

https://imgur.com/4yTCGyw

Ps, not sure how posting works here so ignore any attachments as I tried to delete them.

Attached Files Image(s)

There is a special tool to remove the freewheel. It's called a freewheel removal tool.

It does depend on what freewheel is on there. Some are removed with chainwhip tools.

The bike looks fine as it is.

The only real upgrade I can think of that would be significant is to upgrade the brakes to dual pivot.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32317336665.html?spm=2114.12057483.detail.3.487d71dcJZ9cS6
Previous post is correct. You do not need to remove the freewheel to service just the spokes (truing wheel or spoke replacement). As previously stated those brakes should be replaced; the new pads are fine. Single or dual pivot brakes will work fine. Those are steel plate brakes and do not adjust well; you can easily find a set of cheap alumnum alloy calipers (new or used) that will brake better and be less noisy; lower cost new about $50 a set, used about $25. Make sure you get ones with proper reach; measure first! Easy and quick to replace and adjust. If that is a 10 speed it is probably 70s to early 80s; 6 speed 80s. Murray made mass produced bikes, still they were fairly "bombproof" considering their low cost. Should be a fine commuter depending on the tires you use.
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
(09-27-2021, 11:43 PM)Criminal Wrote:  Previous post is correct. You do not need to remove the freewheel to service just the spokes (truing wheel or spoke replacement). As previously stated those brakes should be replaced; the new pads are fine. Single or dual pivot brakes will work fine m. Those are steel plate brakes and do not adjust well; you can easily find a set of cheap alumnum alloy calipers (new or used) that will brake better and be less noisy; lower cost new about $50 a set, used about $25. Make sure you get ones with proper reach; measure first! Easy and quick to replace and adjust. If that is a 10 speed it is probably 70s to early 80s; 6 speed 80s. Murray made mass produced bikes, still they were fairly "bombproof" considering their low cost. Should be a fine commuter depending on the tires you use.

Thanks for the explanation! In terms of brakes, I assume brands and quality are of utmost importance here. Are there any brands I should look at or avoid or a price range (too low) that I should be skeptical of?

Thanks,
Sav
If you go with new brakes you should get dual pivot since the price difference probably is not that much compared to single pivot. Still you can get cheaper single pivot calipers and upgrade the pads. There are so many options nowadays. Lower to middle range for cost would be Tektro, Dia Compe, etc.; higher end would be Shimano, Campagnolo, SRAM (though those companies make entry level sets also). Go online check reviews; stop in a bike shop see what they have and ask their opinions. Clean and trued rims also improve braking. The main problem I have seen with cheaper brakes are those having excessive play in the pivot(s) mechanism.
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

04-29-2020, 10:40 AM
Last Post: CharleyFarley

03-18-2017, 09:35 PM
Last Post: Painkiller