Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Are Montra bicycles any good?
Got a decent-looking city bike with a drop bar on the local marketplace from a brand called Montra. I understand it's a bicycle brand from India, manufactured in India. What can you expect from such a bicycle?
(08-13-2021, 03:55 PM)SomeOrdinaryGuy Wrote:  Got a decent-looking city bike with a drop bar on the local marketplace from a brand called Montra. I understand it's a bicycle brand from India, manufactured in India. What can you expect from such a bicycle?

All I know is that it is a subsidiary of Tube Investments. They have been in the industry for decades; originally based out of the UK. Montra models are intended as a higher end range of bikes, but I have no experience with that brand (or really any newer bikes for that matter). Hopefully, you will get some first hand reviews fron owners. You might just do a general online search search for reviews of the brand or a specific model if no one here has any feedback to provide. One clue might be the components fitted to these bikes; most higher quality and performance parts are put on frames of like quality.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(08-16-2021, 01:17 AM)Jesper Wrote:  
(08-13-2021, 03:55 PM)SomeOrdinaryGuy Wrote:  Got a decent-looking city bike with a drop bar on the local marketplace from a brand called Montra. I understand it's a bicycle brand from India, manufactured in India. What can you expect from such a bicycle?

All I know is that it is a subsidiary of Tube Investments. They have been in the industry for decades; originally based out of the UK. Montra models are intended as a higher end range of bikes, but I have no experience with that brand (or really any newer bikes for that matter). Hopefully, you will get some first hand reviews fron owners. You might just do a general online search search for reviews of the brand or a specific model if no one here has any feedback to provide. One clue might be the components fitted to these bikes; most higher quality and performance parts are put on frames of like quality.

Thank you for your reply.
It's actually a proper road bike (happened to mention city bike at first) with Shimano Sora and Shimano Claris mix, Promax caliper brakes. As I read this, it does sound like a decent bike. I will wait
(08-16-2021, 01:05 PM)SomeOrdinaryGuy Wrote:  Thank you for your reply.
It's actually a proper road bike (happened to mention city bike at first) with Shimano Sora and Shimano Claris mix, Promax caliper brakes. As I read this, it does sound like a decent bike. I will wait

Given that the Sora and Claris are at the bottom end of Shimano's road groupsets it does not bode well as far as the frame being one of Montra's higher end models (how many road models do they have?). If you see a bike with the same frame, but with a higher end group (mid-range: Tiagra or 105; high-range: Ultegra, Dura-Ace) than it may be that they are using the same frame (check the actual description, don't base it on graphics and paint) for a range of models and are just putting a better groupset on it. If it is a carbon frame than I don't know what to say since there is a good chance that the frame is not of Indian manufacture (Taiwan?); although it is probably a good quality frame nonetheless. I am curious as to the price that you saw it listed as. I would think from what I have seen online that you could buy a used bike in excellent condition with a better Shimano groupset at the same price or less; of course finding one in your size is hit or miss.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS