Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Unbranded Freehub Hell, sourcing a suitable replacement
Hello,

I've been told this is a great forum for help with bikes so here's my first post.

I own a forme rapide SCG road bike I've owned for about three years now, I picked it up second hand and it's pretty much my daily driver. I've probably put a few thousand miles on it and I keep bringing it back from the death. The latest issue is the free hub has failed, it spins both ways freely and has a lot of movement so it's something mechanical that's failed I'd imagine. It spins both ways at random which is annoying when you're stuck in traffic on a busy road. It's become too frequent to risk taking the bike out now as I'd previously take it apart the best I could each month and dump WD40, Engine oil and high temp grease to rectify the problem but that just wont work now.

I don't know a great deal about bikes I'm learning as things break and need replacing, I'd much rather buy the tools, do the research and learn for myself than send it to halfords for repair.

The wheels are One23 SL22 and from other forme bikes I've found online with details on the hubs I'm leaning towards a formula hub. I needed a 11mm Allan key to remove the freehub but I have no idea what to replace it with. I've found a replacement that looks like it might fit, it's a "SRAM MTH506" but it's for a specific MTH 506 hub so really not sure how interchangeable they are, it looks awfully similair to mine from photographs.

My current freehub is a 8 speed. Just after some guidance before I go throwing money at it.

Kind Regards,
This is called a through axle freehub body (thru-axle sometimes).

One important bit of information here needed is the size of the thread (or size of the hex needed to remove the freehub body).

It looks like this is about what you're looking for.

https://www.jensonusa.com/SRAM-V2-X9-Freehub-Body-X9-Freehub-Body-For-10mm-Axle

However, you can only know for sure if it matches the thread size of yours.

They can be very erratic. I just removed mine from a GT Aggressor stock wheelset to service it. That one uses an odd 11mm hex to remove the through axle. Typically they are 10mm or 12mm.

Make sure to soak the freehub body in oil before installing it.
(08-11-2021, 05:37 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  This is called a through axle freehub body (thru-axle sometimes).

One important bit of information here needed is the size of the thread (or size of the hex needed to remove the freehub body).

It looks like this is about what you're looking for.

https://www.jensonusa.com/SRAM-V2-X9-Freehub-Body-X9-Freehub-Body-For-10mm-Axle

However, you can only know for sure if it matches the thread size of yours.

They can be very erratic. I just removed mine from a GT Aggressor stock wheelset to service it. That one uses an odd 11mm hex to remove the through axle. Typically they are 10mm or 12mm.

Make sure to soak the freehub body in oil before installing it.

That Sram is similair to what I've been looking at but that mentions its for a 9 or 10 speed and my bike is a 8 speed. I'm going to try a few local bike repair stores this weekend see if I can get lucky but I think Sram hub body is what I'm in need for.

Mine was 11mm allan btw for removal, it was an odd size I had to order it online as local hardware stores only seemed to stock up to 10mm or 12mm onward.
(08-12-2021, 07:50 AM)WorriedSponge Wrote:  That Sram is similair to what I've been looking at but that mentions its for a 9 or 10 speed and my bike is a 8 speed. I'm going to try a few local bike repair stores this weekend see if I can get lucky but I think Sram hub body is what I'm in need for.

Mine was 11mm allan btw for removal, it was an odd size I had to order it online as local hardware stores only seemed to stock up to 10mm or 12mm onward.

It looks like the same one I just serviced from my wheelset.

8, 9, 10 speed is all the same.

If a cassette does 8 speed, it also does 9 and 10 speed. They all have the same stack, just different spacing of the gears and sizes of the cogs.

11 speed requires an 11 speed freehub body, but is reverse compatible from there with a low spacer.

12 speed requires a microspline freehub body from what I understand (all these by Shimano specs).

Some freehub bodies are 7 speed exclusive, and can only do up to 7 speed. If yours was 8 speed, then you're cleared for anything that says 9 or 10 speed, so long as it matches the profile of your hub port and thread size of the thru-axle.

That one says 10mm thread, so you might need this one instead:

https://planetcyclery.com/sram-406-freehub-body-shimano-10-speed-hg-spline

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-31-2015, 08:34 PM
Last Post: Painkiller

01-27-2015, 03:36 PM
Last Post: nfmisso