Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Hello... Returning to the fold
Been a few years since I gave up serious mileage on a bike and my fitness took a hit. Car, marriage and work commitments have taken their toll.
Now as a 47 year old ex 'racing snake' my ride has sat idle, only getting pulled out to do a service as it gathers dust on the turbo trainer.

To get back into it, as all of my old crew, bike club and co bike shop hangers-on are opting for e bikes... Mainly in the 3-5k range, I can't justify that just yet so have posted asking for advice on a conversion...give my fat ass a wee push!
Hello Scott!
Autobahn
(08-08-2021, 10:30 AM)Scott D Wrote:  Been a few years since I gave up serious mileage on a bike and my fitness took a hit. Car, marriage and work commitments have taken their toll.
Now as a 47 year old ex 'racing snake' my ride has sat idle, only getting pulled out to do a service as it gathers dust on the turbo trainer.

To get back into it, as all of my old crew, bike club and co bike shop hangers-on are opting for e bikes... Mainly in the 3-5k range, I can't justify that just yet so have posted asking for advice on a conversion...give my fat ass a wee push!

Hello Scott,

I am curious as to what your old bike is. Could you post a photo or two? No need to polish it up; no judgement here. I would not convert your old bike to a powered/power assist bike; check for a used ebike, I see them all the time for under $500.
I would just get your old bike back on the road if it and yourself are in the condition to do so. Toss on a set of wider and lower pressure tires (30-32mm if possible, rims should allow it; frame may not if a racer) and try a softer saddle to allow your body to get back into cycling condition. Ride at an easy pace, 8-10mph or whatever speed is comfortable for short distances or durations (10mph for 5 miles = 30 mins). Slowly pick up the pace, distance, and/or duration; you don't need to try and go all out and potentially hurt yourself. You may be in better shape than you think. I am in my late 50s and just got my older retired friend back on a bike about 2 years ago after he last rode as a teen. 5 miles was knocking him flat on his behind, but now he is doing 10 plus miles regularly at a moderate 10-12mph on a medium weight bike I built for him specifically so he could run errands instead of hopping in the car. Unfortunately, he still likes his cigars and will ride the bike to go get them! He now tries a 'surprise' short sprint with me at the end of our rides for some bragging rights. Sorry, but I can't yet give him that satisfaction and he knows it; but its the effort that counts!
I think ebikes serve a purpose, but to me they are way overpriced, and take away much of the fun and certainly most of the benefits of traditional cycling.
As a side note; my friend's older non-smoking brother got on a bike after I threw one together for him (he saw how well his bro was doing), and nearly passed out after a one mile trek in which he needed to call his wife to pick him and the bike up. Always ride with someone if you can, and get a bike computer (or phone app) to help gauge your speed and distance.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

11-23-2019, 07:34 AM
Last Post: surreypete

08-26-2019, 03:50 PM