Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bike value
Question 

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what this Bianchi is worth.

Attached Files Image(s)

$200~ish as base line.

Vintages and higher spec bikes can climb up more. Like say If it has Campagnolo parts, then add $100.
(07-08-2021, 08:56 PM)Bryan Patterson Wrote:  Hello,

Can anyone tell me what this Bianchi is worth.

Hi Bryan,

Do you need a value estimate for your own knowledge, insurance, to buy, or to sell?

You will need to provide detailed photos of the frame lugs, any decals, dropouts, underside of BB shell, brake bridge, and components. As the previous post stated it is probably worth about $200 minimum; without any further info or photos I would put it nearer to $300 if in proper working order (pedals installed) due to apparent age and some vintage Campy parts (shift levers), and tires being new or in very good condition. I have dealt with these types of bikes (Italian/European racers from the 30s-90s) for the last 30 plus years, and many things can add (as well as subtract) to a bike's value. I will try to figure out what year it is and tubing used. A quick way to determine possible tubing, if no identifier decal, is to weigh the bike (yourself holding bike on a home scale is fine; subtract your weight). If it is around 20-22 pounds you probably (not definitely, part's weights may affect the accuracy) have a frame made with a lighter and butted Columbus tubeset. The fact that it states "made in Italy" is a plus due to Bianchi starting in the '80s had frames (cheaper/lower end) made in Asia so an indication of an early model. As far as components are concerned, if it has some Campagnolo stuff on it it can add much more than $100 in value depending on the part. Many Campy parts sell for $50 and up in average condition due to the resurgence of people wanting to ride old steel bikes with the period parts that they originally had on them. A Campy Record Strada crankset, rear derailleur, levers, calipers, pedals, etc. can bring in $50-$100/each when in decent shape and sold as a separate parts. You don't get as much value with a complete bike because of buying all parts at the same time, but the value can be affected dramatically. If a $50 frame has a full Campy Record groupset than I would value that bike at $300 plus just due to parts alone; toss the frame in the trash (not really!), and build up a high end frame with the same parts and your bike is now in the $500-$1000 range. I have about a dozen Campy N. Record rear derailleurs from the 60s-80s, bought years ago for around $25-$50 each, now worth $75-$125 each. Many old bike's values have often surpassed their original selling price due to the increased value in parts alone even on low to mid end frames.

My best guess on that bike without seeing more detail would be an early to mid 70s entry to mid level frame due to no pantographs, only chrome on fork crown, flat fork crown, no braze-ons (all parts are clamp-on), no bottle cage bosses; definitely pre 1980. It appears to have fancy head lugs, but again I cannot fully discern from the photo. those parts will tell a much more specific story as to value and age (the older the better and the more Campy the better; even on a lesser bike).
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS