Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Tubeless users: do you still carry a flat kit?
That is, a standard flat kit (tube, CO2, levers, patches, etc.)? I know you can use a tube in a tubeless tire in an emergency, but is that something I'm going to want to do, with all the sealant still in there? Wouldn't it make more sense to carry extra CO2?
tplinklogin
sarkari job
Oh, I still do road cycling with clinchers. Usually, I'll have a spare tube with me + specialized mini pump, although sometimes, on shorter 40-60km rides, I gamble without having an emergency set.

Simply out of curiosity - which tubeless tires do you have?
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
a lot of people like these - https://www.notubes.com/dart - but personally I usually just carry another tube. there is a variety of different patch kits, that basically work like the ones for cars if you have ever used one.

at the very least you should carry extra CO2, and then from there, if the hole is substantial use the patch kit or a new tube.
"Steel is real."
- IDK, some guy.
Today I am really considering a switch to Tubeless. Last night I repaired a flat from a puncture from a staples-like piece of metal, with a patched tube. This morning I wake up to a flat. Swapped out the flat tube, that the patch did not hold, with a new tube. Worried during the whole ride that I did not remove all the metal. I'm trying to save $8 on a tube by patching several times. I rode Tubeless on my MTB because we had thorns everywhere. Is it worth going Tubeless on a road bike? Cost for a new wheelset? Weight? Cost for slime? Messy? Still carry a patch kit? Do you really never get a flat? Thanks for any recommendations.
Hi
So once you have a leak in your tire from a puncture that the sealant can't fix, there's no point in adding more air. I usually have a tube in my backpack for just this reason as I am mostly away from civilization on trails. Don't wanna be stuck out there. Just carry a tube with you and a tiny pump that can get you running again.

As I see it there's no don't do this or just try this it works for me answer to your question. It's always better to be prepared for whatever the trail throws at you.
Treat flat preparedness no different from a traditional tube tire. If the tire gets a slash in it, sealant will not seal it and a tube will poke out of the slash and go flat in short order. Having a something to boot the tire is necessary and should be carried with you along with a tube.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-08-2022, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Jon Aston