Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

got hit by a car
Long-time road rider, following all the rules, got hit by a right-turning driver with no signal a few months ago. His passenger side mirror grabbed my handle bars as he turned right into me, pulled the side mirror loose from his car, and my bike was tangled in the mirror. Threw me over his hood, and I rolled like a stunt girl. Hit the ground hard, and jumped up fast , just as the guy was trying to drive away! I hit the hood of his car with my fist and screamed STOP, PULL OVER, and he did, but then told the cops he got hit by a bike. Luckily the cops could see it was his fault, and he was told to get in his car and shut up. He got the ticket. I got a broken shoulder with rotator cuff/dislocation. Five months later and I am still going to therapy, and still unable to surf or paddleboard. But I am alive and I can still ride my bikes, thankfully! I always try to make eye contact with drivers, I wave, wear bright colors, use lights even in daytime, but this guy swore he did not see me, even though I was right beside his passenger window when he turned without warning right into me! I still see the crash happening in my head. Florida is a dangerous state for riders!
(03-19-2021, 03:34 PM)Kgirl Wrote:  Long-time road rider, following all the rules, got hit by a right-turning driver with no signal a few months ago. His passenger side mirror grabbed my handle bars as he turned right into me, pulled the side mirror loose from his car, and my bike was tangled in the mirror. Threw me over his hood, and I rolled like a stunt girl. Hit the ground hard, and jumped up fast , just as the guy was trying to drive away! I hit the hood of his car with my fist and screamed STOP, PULL OVER, and he did, but then told the cops he got hit by a bike. Luckily the cops could see it was his fault, and he was told to get in his car and shut up. He got the ticket. I got a broken shoulder with rotator cuff/dislocation. Five months later and I am still going to therapy, and still unable to surf or paddleboard. But I am alive and I can still ride my bikes, thankfully! I always try to make eye contact with drivers, I wave, wear bright colors, use lights even in daytime, but this guy swore he did not see me, even though I was right beside his passenger window when he turned without warning right into me! I still see the crash happening in my head. Florida is a dangerous state for riders!

Yeah he did not see you, but had to pass you to make the turn. Florida is pretty insane! I am only there part time, but I have been hit 3 times. Head-on in a parking lot by a truck 'cutting a corner' and driving into the right lane I was riding in, I partly rolled up on the hood and got thrown into bushes (saved me from worse injury); guy said I was going too fast, never a word if I was okay or sorry for not being in his lane. Got t- boned by some stoners running a stop sign; response: "Sorry dude!". Broadsided by a truck swerving off the road; never stopped. Unfortunately I had no major injuries, just bruising. Drinks and garbage tossed, shouting/cursing, and being given the finger are common practices. I stay on the rail trails when possible.

Glad you are still able to cycle and the violator got charged!

Better luck to you in the future.
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
(03-20-2021, 11:49 PM)Criminal Wrote:  
(03-19-2021, 03:34 PM)Kgirl Wrote:  Long-time road rider, following all the rules, got hit by a right-turning driver with no signal a few months ago. His passenger side mirror grabbed my handle bars as he turned right into me, pulled the side mirror loose from his car, and my bike was tangled in the mirror. Threw me over his hood, and I rolled like a stunt girl. Hit the ground hard, and jumped up fast , just as the guy was trying to drive away! I hit the hood of his car with my fist and screamed STOP, PULL OVER, and he did, but then told the cops he got hit by a bike. Luckily the cops could see it was his fault, and he was told to get in his car and shut up. He got the ticket. I got a broken shoulder with rotator cuff/dislocation. Five months later and I am still going to therapy, and still unable to surf or paddleboard. But I am alive and I can still ride my bikes, thankfully! I always try to make eye contact with drivers, I wave, wear bright colors, use lights even in daytime, but this guy swore he did not see me, even though I was right beside his passenger window when he turned without warning right into me! I still see the crash happening in my head. Florida is a dangerous state for riders!

Yeah he did not see you, but had to pass you to make the turn. Florida is pretty insane! I am only there part time, but I have been hit 3 times. Head-on in a parking lot by a truck 'cutting a corner' and driving into the right lane I was riding in, I partly rolled up on the hood and got thrown into bushes (saved me from worse injury); guy said I was going too fast, never a word if I was okay or sorry for not being in his lane. Got t- boned by some stoners running a stop sign; response: "Sorry dude!". Broadsided by a truck swerving off the road; never stopped. Unfortunately I had no major injuries, just bruising. Drinks and garbage tossed, shouting/cursing, and being given the finger are common practices. I stay on the rail trails when possible.

Thanks! Sounds like you have survived some scary encounters with bad drivers,. I enjoy the rail trails too, but sometimes I don't want to drive to ride. I've been riding some off-road trails lately. Always nice being in the woods, away from cars! Happy riding to you!

Glad you are safe..I live in Tampa and yes this place is not safe for cycling. I only ride in parks or the Causeway
(03-22-2021, 02:23 PM)Kgirl Wrote:  
(03-20-2021, 11:49 PM)Criminal Wrote:  

Thanks! Sounds like you have survived some scary encounters with bad drivers,. I enjoy the rail trails too, but sometimes I don't want to drive to ride. I've been riding some off-road trails lately. Always nice being in the woods, away from cars! Happy riding to you!

I got hit by a car crossing a main road. i misjudged how fast the car was going. Years later all I remember is the ambulance ride. Oh and by the way witnesses said the driver of the car stopped saw me lying in the middle of the road bleeding and took off. Nice.