Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Chain for specialized rockhopper [Solved]
Hello,
Ive just had my over 30 year old rockhopper serviced and its as good as new. Almost!
Repair shop - where i bought it 6 years ago and have been great servicing it - say the chain is very worn and will be almost impossible to replace. Its a six speed.
Would this be true?
I'm not grumbling as its been a great bike but at the same time seems a shame to ditch it for want of a chain.
Appreciate any advice or second opinion and also appreciate it should maybe be in a museum!
Thanks
If you could, post a picture of your rear cluster and I can better advise. It should be no problem finding a chain for you
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

(02-23-2021, 03:12 PM)Zaniolo Wrote:  Hello,
Ive just had my over 30 year old rockhopper serviced and its as good as new. Almost!
Repair shop - where i bought it 6 years ago and have been great servicing it - say the chain is very worn and will be almost impossible to replace. Its a six speed.
Would this be true?
I'm not grumbling as its been a great bike but at the same time seems a shame to ditch it for want of a chain.
Appreciate any advice or second opinion and also appreciate it should maybe be in a museum!
Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

This will work fine with your rear cluster
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KMC-Z6-Chain-6-7-Speed-116-Links-Silver/113843425614?epid=5033664509&hash=item1a8198d14e:g:svAAAOSwIytgNT0S
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Much appreciated!
(02-28-2021, 04:47 PM)Zaniolo Wrote:  Much appreciated!
you are welcome
I find it extremely odd that a (I assume reputable) bike shop would say that finding a chain for a 30 year old bike would be "almost impossible to replace"; especially since they are willing to work on your older bike, one would assume that they would have spare parts for those regularly worn; either on hand, or easily ordered. I assume your chain is 1/8"; still very easy to find.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...