Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Unknown Forks
I have been digging through old parts trying to build up a "frankenbike" project and came across a couple of forks I need help ID'ing.

One is an early Moser fork without any marks other than the crown lug "trident/MOSER" and the steerer tube "4" "70". Essentially a flat crown lug with recessed brake mounting, unbranded forged dropouts with very good finish work on the fork end/dropout conjunctions, but horrible work at the crown/fork blade conjuctions. Excellent paintwork. I am trying to determine what year(s) and possibly model(s) this fork may have been used on. I don't believe Moser was having frames made with his name before 1977. I have a 1985 "Aelle" model frameset (Columbus "AELLE" tubing) that has a stylized "F MOSER" in the crown lug quite different from this example. I would expect it to be more '70s than '80s; and it is not from the cheap French frames using Fransisco Moser's name on some "hi-ten" steel frames circa late '70s-early '80s. No reinforcing "splines" in the steerer tube.

The second fork is of unknown branding other than the "SW" on the fork crown. Chromed semi-sloped crown with recessed brake mounting, heart cutouts in tangs, and Campagnolo chromed dropouts; original blue paint stripped off. This fork is much lighter than the Moser fork, and is clearly stamped with the Columbus logo and has the reinforced steerer tube design. I believe the blade tubes are lightweight Columbus due to overall weight differential, but no stamps on blades. All work on this fork is very clean and professionally done.

The third fork is unknown except for the "G" on the crown. It happens to presently reside on a Moser frame that has nothing to do with the aforementioned Moser fork.

If anyone knows information about these forks I appreciate it.

Be safe during the holidays!

Howard

Moser and "SW"

Moser

Moser and "SW"

"SW"

"SW"

"G"

Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
Found out some information regarding aforementioned forks.

The Moser fork is not from a Francesco Moser frame, but is from a different Moser who was an actual builder (F. Moser ex-racer, designer; not a framebuilder himself). Ermanno Moser started in 1933, son (Flavio) took over business and company is still in existence but not family owned anymore. Still no idea as to year since this logo has been in use for decades, but with flat crown and recessed brake mount it is most likely late '70s.

The "SW" fork is from the Wolfgang Steinmayr marque established by an Austrian ex-racer. Debate about fork and frames being of Italian origin; Gino Milani was known for using "heart" cutouts in fork tabs.

The "G" fork is from a Giordano bike, late '80s-'90s..

(Photo credit unknown)

Attached Files Image(s)

Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-23-2021, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Jesper