Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Pavarin By Vanni Losa 80s Road Bike
Hey guys, can you tell me more about Pavarin bikes and Shimano Sante derailleurs/drivetrains?

Is the price reasonable for this 1980s Pavarin with Columbus SL tubes?
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
(11-08-2020, 10:44 AM)Zviedrs Wrote:  Hey guys, can you tell me more about Pavarin bikes and Shimano Sante derailleurs/drivetrains?

Is the price reasonable for this 1980s Pavarin with Columbus SL tubes?

I have 2 Losa built frames; excellent quality. I have not ridden a Pavarin frame, but if built with similar geometry and tubeset as my Krapf and Anselmo (both Losa built frames, Anselmo not finished) I would expect a fairly stiff frame given the "SL" tubing. As far as the lug cut-outs, both my Losa frames have the odd "heart" cut-outs but are on similar lugs. I always considered Shimano's "Santé" a bit of a "fashion" group, but still quality; I do not have any riding experience with this group, but have heard nothing negative regarding function, some finish issues. The frame looks to be in very good condition. Some of the components are not in the condition I would expect in a complete (wait, no pedals!) bike at an asking price of 1200€; it should have period pedals for the price. About 300€ overpriced, but common for that company. Frame set value at approximately 300€, Santé gruppo approximately 300€ in conditions as shown. In my market that bike would be approximately $1000/900€ maximum (more likely $800/700€) based on overall condition. That being said, if the frame size is good for you then it may be a good deal. I would think that you could find a private sale bike of equal quality, condition, and vintage in your area for 200-400€ less. My Losa frame sets cost about 250€ each, and I spent approx. 250-400€ on build-up parts for each bike. I looked at their other "Pavarin" frame for 600 euros, about 150-200 euros above what I would pay for an "SLX" frame set with chrome forks, etc. Odd that both frames are technically not Pavarin who was a builder himself. Losa was known fore making frames for many companies, but I thought Pavarin had made all his own frames. I still question the odd lug cut-outs, and the explanation that "Steel Vintage Bikes" gave as reasoning to their design. It could very well be that those lugs are the way that Pavarin made his design; I do not know. It would be interesting to see a "Pavarin built" frame to compare it to the Losa frame.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Thank you Jesper!
Always great to receive your feedback and it is much appreciated. Currently I'm just browsing and expanding my knowledge. Pavarin was NEW one to me. I have seen articles about Sante rear derailleur stating that it was "innovative" for those times.

Better be prepared for more evaluation requests haha
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
(11-11-2020, 09:42 PM)Zviedrs Wrote:  Thank you Jesper!
Always great to receive your feedback and it is much appreciated. Currently I'm just browsing and expanding my knowledge. Pavarin was NEW one to me. I have seen articles about Sante rear derailleur stating that it was "innovative" for those times.

Better be prepared for more evaluation requests haha

No problem, those are types of bikes I'm most familiar with. I have a Rossin "Sante" frame awaiting building, but they offered 5 different gruppos for that frame set, "Sante" being the middle offering; I have not priced the Sante components to determine if it is the set up I want. It is a fine looking group. Odd that it only was available for couple years given that it was supposedly a high quality component set. Similar to Campagnolo's "Croce d'Aune" group; I have one of those odd rear mechs, but have not mounted it yet.
Hope you are managing okay during these trying times, and hope you have something to roll around town on. I just did my "Veteran's Day" ride to the memorial this week; somber ride, but always means a lot to me as I am a vet myself. I do the 25Km ride on the old Raleigh roadster just to keep my mind focused on the purpose of the ride, and not taking a "quick spin" on a racing bike.

Now working on a frame, unknown builder, but badged as Van Herwerden from the Netherlands. Another mystery to be solved! Possibly their own artisan build, but Chesini also had done some contract work for them; got a Chesini "Super Special" already so I hope the "VH" turns out to be a house frame in the end.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...