Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Western Flyer Restoration
Hello all,
I just picked up this 1950's Western Flyer Deluxe Tank Model and would like to restore it. This is my first time doing this so I'd love some suggestions/insight. Below I've linked an imgur that has shows a few of the issues that I can see. So far I think I need to solve the following issues.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/GkoqnJw
  • Headlight is missing. Where can I find a replacement?
  • Chain Guard has been gouged. Might not need a replacement but also, where would I find one?
  • Back fender is cut pretty badly, BUT it's pretty hidden behind the chain guard so maybe won't need a replacement. Where would I find one though?
  • Where would I find replacement stickers as they will be destroyed once I strip the paint.

I'm looking to just use this as a cruiser around town for personal use, so it doesn't have to be perfect, but I would like to restore it as close as I can without breaking the bank. Happy to take any suggestions and help that you have to offer. Thanks!
Currently working on:
1950s Western Flyer Deluxe Tank Model
(10-29-2020, 09:09 PM)BadDudeWill Wrote:  Hello all,
I just picked up this 1950's Western Flyer Deluxe Tank Model and would like to restore it. This is my first time doing this so I'd love some suggestions/insight. Below I've linked an imgur that has shows a few of the issues that I can see. So far I think I need to solve the following issues.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/GkoqnJw
  • Headlight is missing. Where can I find a replacement?
  • Chain Guard has been gouged. Might not need a replacement but also, where would I find one?
  • Back fender is cut pretty badly, BUT it's pretty hidden behind the chain guard so maybe won't need a replacement. Where would I find one though?
  • Where would I find replacement stickers as they will be destroyed once I strip the paint.

I'm looking to just use this as a cruiser around town for personal use, so it doesn't have to be perfect, but I would like to restore it as close as I can without breaking the bank. Happy to take any suggestions and help that you have to offer. Thanks!

"Bank" is a relative term here when it comes to refurbishing or restoring an old anything. If you you have not done any hobby similar to this, well then you are going to learn and it is best to learn how to find your parts the cheapest and preferrably closest to you. If you want it on the road "tomorrow" then you need to be really lucky and/or have spare cash hanging about. If you have time to be patient and find something here and something there you'll save money, but it does take time, even doing the online searching. Check local first, both online (e.g. Craigslist) and brick/mortar businesses (e.g. bike shops, thrift stores, Salvation Army, Good Will, pawn shops, etc.). Then try out of the area, even Craigslist; I've had people Send me stuff both fairly local and remote saving me travelling and gas expenses. I would post your bike on "The CABE" (Classic and Antique Bike Exchange), and on "Ratrod Bikes", etc. Post the bike and also put a wanted post for your parts; check their marketplace forum listings. I am not a fan of ebay, but there are a lot of decent parts available, unfortunately somewhat overpriced on many occasions. Check different sources for parts and get an idea of the market. You may buy a decent used set of fenders today for $100, and then find a "new old stock" set tomorrow for $75. It's crazy, but satisfying to find the right part at a good price. You could also try to find a "donor" bike (what you find at Good Will for $10-$20), something beat up in the areas you aren't worried about, but has good parts for your bike.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-20-2016, 01:27 AM
Last Post: adman2001

07-12-2011, 01:02 PM