Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Grinding/scraping sound in front wheel (audio example included
Hello! I have a grinding sound coming from my front wheel and I can't figure it out. I took apart the hub and cleaned the ball bearings, which made the wheel spin more smoothly but the sound is still there. I have attached a link to an audio recording of the sound. The sound seems to occur at a slow and steady pace, even when i'm biking pretty fast. I have a single speed bike with rim brakes.

any suggestions would be great!

(P.s. my brakes aren't too close to the rim!)

https://voca.ro/6CRapFMtg3k
Did you place any grease back in the hub that sounds to me like it could be rather dry.
(10-14-2020, 11:01 PM)Rory Fisher Wrote:  Hello! I have a grinding sound coming from my front wheel and I can't figure it out. I took apart the hub and cleaned the ball bearings, which made the wheel spin more smoothly but the sound is still there. I have attached a link to an audio recording of the sound. The sound seems to occur at a slow and steady pace, even when i'm biking pretty fast. I have a single speed bike with rim brakes.

any suggestions would be great!

(P.s. my brakes aren't too close to the rim!)

https://voca.ro/6CRapFMtg3k

Without knowing the age or mileage of the hub, and/or conditions used under, I would assume that either the bearing race(s) on the spindle, the cone(s), and/or ball bearings themselves are worn and pitted (although not severe). Take a close look with a magnifying glass and ensure that there is no pitting, scoring, and/or brinelling; I'd replace the ball bearings (cheap part) even if everything looked good. Also, ensure that you are not over tightening the hub when adjusting for bearing play. Most wear and/or excessive tightening can easily be felt by spinning the wheel and holding it in your hands; the same "rough" feel is not always as apparent with the wheel mounted; but if you can feel it while riding then it sounds somewhat more severe as to the problem in relation to the smooth operation of the hub.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...