Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Broken Park Tool pump Presta valve advice
Greetings all,

Looking for a little advice on why and how to fix the Presta air valve on my Park Tools floor pump. It’s a dual presta Schrader attachment (that in not removable) on the pump and air flow simply stopped flowing into the presta despite lock being on to block Schrader flow. There has been some lead up warning as it became harder to pump and would ‘pop’ when whatever was blocking flow broke. Seems it have have been related to stem position in the valve but repositioning is no longer effective? Comments or ideas much appreciated
(10-05-2020, 02:13 PM)Hannibal Wrote:  Greetings all,

Looking for a little advice on why and how to fix the Presta air valve on my Park Tools floor pump. It’s a dual presta Schrader attachment (that in not removable) on the pump and air flow simply stopped flowing into the presta despite lock being on to block Schrader flow. There has been some lead up warning as it became harder to pump and would ‘pop’ when whatever was blocking flow broke. Seems it have have been related to stem position in the valve but repositioning is no longer effective? Comments or ideas much appreciated

Hi Hannibal,

What style head does it have: 2 separate holes for presta and schrader, a single hole with reversible internal adaptor, or a single hole with a "slide" to choose valve type? I just bought 2 brand new pumps (Bell "Floornado" models) for a friend. First pump was a medium pressure rated up to 100psi, my friend called to say he didn't know how to use it because he was unable to pump any air into the tire (presta valve). Since he was new to presta type valves, I thought he might not be opening the valve nut, but no; the pump would not push air even with me (all 140 lbs) putting all my weight on it (feet off the floor!). Thinking I had given him a pump that wasn't capable of pumping up his tires (rated at 90-115 psi), I bought the second pump which was identical to the first, except having a smaller barrel which enables you to pump at a higher pressure rated at 160psi. I, an idiot, didn't think about testing in the store and gave it to him only to find out it was worse than the first pump and could not be cycled even one time though not connected to the tire. I returned both pumps, and then tested in the store the remaining 3 pumps identical to my previous purchase; all of them cycled freely, but I was not confident to buy another floor pump for Bell ever again. I have old Zefal and Bell pumps that work fine after years of use; I gave my friend my the old Bell pump that works fine for high pressure (>90psi) tires. My only theory with my new pumps was that a check valve was installed backwards. I don't know if there is a check valve on your Park model that could affect its operation. Have you tried contacting Park? They may have some insight on your problem; I doubt that you are the only one to experience it. Can you dismantle the head at all (even if you can't remove it)? There should be a simple solution. Can you post a photo of the pump head? Seems odd that the head can't be removed since they are usually replaceable (Park's anyways). What model and how old? Just curious, have you tried it on a a schrader valve?
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...