Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

No idea what i got.
Photo 
                        So I bought the bike pictured. Im not sure what it would be valued at though or what i should do with it. Personally i think it just looks like a cool attempt at a TT bike, so i had to buy it. I also got an extremely good deal, like it would have been a good deal even if we werent in a national bicycle shortage. So if you could just tell me what i have really got here and what it is worth.

I also got the carbon fiber cranks in the deal, I did some research and i beleive they are the Zipp CA 380. But same with that, please just let me know what i have and what it is worth.

Thank you so much!
(08-25-2020, 11:01 PM)Derek Gross Wrote:  So I bought the bike pictured. I'm not sure what it would be valued at though or what i should do with it. Personally I think it just looks like a cool attempt at a TT bike, so I had to buy it. I also got an extremely good deal, like it would have been a good deal even if we weren't in a national bicycle shortage. So if you could just tell me what i have really got here and what it is worth.

I also got the carbon fiber cranks in the deal, I did some research and i believe they are the Zipp CA 380. But same with that, please just let me know what I have and what it is worth.

Thank you so much!

Hi Derek,

Welcome to the club! An odd looking bike with that set up; not the optimal frame to make a TT out of; much of it due to geometry. It looks like a late 70s to early 80s Motobecane. Not sure of the model, looks like the top tube has the model decal. Kind of a waste with the TT disc and aero wheel set up on a longer touring style frame. Externally nutted brake mounts indicate an earlier model; the fork may not be original. Also, center pull brakes, if original, are probably more indicative of a '70s frame; but they may have been on later frames depending on the model; catalogs images and specs do not always agree with the actual bike sold off the rack so it can make it hard to compare. There are a few places you can go to in order to compare that frame to catalog examples (e.g. Bulgier.net, etc.); paint scheme/decals/original components/model, etc. should get you to with in a year or two of the frame date. Date codes (if any) on original components will also get you to within a year or two. Value of the frame is fairly minimal ($100 give or take, but I don't know how much of a demand there is for these frames). I wouldn't venture a guess on the cranks, if they seem to have any damage it might make them unsafe to use; even then being obviously used and in apparently moderate condition I would not put a high value on them, at least not if I was the potential buyer. The disc wheels run the gamut in price range, depends on make, model, hub, condition, and demand; but in general a decent disc wheel assembly will go $200 to $500 (and up). I've got a disc wheel I paid $2 for and another at $150; it just depends.

I'll say this: with that saddle buried into the seat tube and the stem raised to its present position; the individual will not really be in an aerodynamic posture which is what being on a time trial bike is all about aside from the frame geometry. Disc wheels and "aero" bars do not make a bike that much higher in performance if the frame and the rest of the bike is not set up and/or designed for it. You obviously saw that judging from your statements. I too would have been interested in a bike like that, but merely to strip it down and donate its parts to more appropriate frames. it would make a nice period correct build given the fact that the frame appears to be in very good shape, or do a mod with newer components.

Here is an "moderately old school" TT/Tri bike with proper frame dimensions for that use, too small for me (thus, selling). And a "lo-pro" TT bike that I sold not too long ago as I managed to find a better frame and more appropriately sized for me. Your Zipp disc would have looked darn good on the Nishiki!

Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Last Post: 009jim